Steve
Steve, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  25 years working as a service technician
43460220

My Car Starts But Then Dies Suddenly

Customer Question

My Car Starts But Then Dies Suddenly
Submitted: 1 year ago via HelpOwl.
Category: Car
Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.

Steve :

Thanks for trusting me to help you with your car today. I am a certified mechanic with over 25 years of experience. I look forward to working with you

Steve :

If your car is starting and then dieing then the most likely concern is the mass air flow sensor or the air snorkel from the mass air flow sensor to the throttle body has a leak.

Steve :

I would start by making sure the air cleaner snorkel is tight and attached to the throttle body, and there are no leaks in the air cleaner snorkel.

Customer:

I did see a crack in the plastic piece that goes from the air filter and then into the throttle body. I repaired it with some duck tape. Where would the air flow sensor be located?

Steve :

If the air cleaner snorkel is ok, then remove the electrical connector at the mass air flow sensor. Start the car up and if it runs ok without dying then the mass air sensor is bad or there is dirt on the sensors wires. It is located just after the air cleaner box.

Customer:

the car was running fine until i got on the freeway and noticed the cable from the accelorator pedal was not attached to the throttle. once i connected the two, it was then, the car would start and then die

Customer:

i have been told it could be a short in the ignition switch. could that be the problem?

Steve :

Did you knock something loose when hooking the cable up? I have never seen a ignition switch cause this concern. It is always the mass airflow sensor or the snorkel not hooked up properly.

Customer:

not that i know of. there is a loose "sensor plug" that i cant find a connection port for.

Customer:

it is comming from a cable that is attached to the sparkplug cord.

Customer:

but it looks as though it had never been plugged in to begin with.

Steve :

Are all the hoses from the valve cover and the iac motor plugged into the air cleaner snorkel?

Customer:

i will check the sensors by the air filter. the snorkel is connected properly on both ends. (it is just a clamp holding the tubing to the air filter and the throttle.

Steve :

That clamp needs to be tight

Customer:

the snorkel is all plastic. no connectors to be plugged on it.

Steve :

there is two hoses that go to it from valve cover and the idle air control motor

Customer:

both of those hoses are correctly positioned on the plastic snorkel. (no clamps just a tight fit)

Steve :

That is good try unplugging the mass air flow connector see what happens

Customer:

my air bag light blinks ten times when i position the key in "run"

Steve, ASE Certified Tech
Experience: 25 years working as a service technician
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

if it is unplugged, will the car still run?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

And the check engine light is on

Expert:  Steve replied 1 year ago.
Eric,
The air bag light being on will not cause your concern.
The check engine light may. You might want to check the computer for fault codes.

When you unplug the mass air sensor if that is the concern the engine will stay running.