Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

intrepid: My friend has an 01 intrepid 2.7 liter with a common

My friend has an 01 intrepid 2.7 liter with a common "weird start issue". i have read numerous forums with no luck of answer yet. it will run fine for a couple days then all the sudden wont even turn over. but if you go back a few hours later it starts right up. the neg battery cable was corroded and has been replaced with new cable and connector as well as a new starter. it ran fine for about thre days then did it yet again. she went to leave work and nothing. she left it and went back a few hours later and started just fine. im lost and tired of her getting frustrated and stuck everywhere when she has her little boy with her. just want her to be safe with a car that she knows will start everytime. please help.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

From what you have described here this sounds like the starter isn't intermittently engaging to start/turn over the vehicle.

In some cases this can be caused by an internal electrical fault in the electronic ignition switch itself.If this is a complete loss of power to the vehicle when this occurs (no lights,horn,radio,etc.) this may be a fault with a power or ground connection on the engine components or engine block or even at one of the fuse boxes.I would double check/trace the cables and make sure there is no other loose connection or corrosion on any of the cabling and to see if any of the cables are damaged at all as a damaged cable can cause high resistance in some cases and can cause this here.

If these are all o.k. it is possible this is an internal electrical fault with the electronic ignition switch.The signals would need tested at this switch when the vehicle is acting up to see if this is the case.

If you want,I can walk you through some test steps when the vehicle is acting up if you have a multi meter handy so we can see if we can locate the fault here just let me know.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When It Happens The Car Still Has Power To Everything The The Starter Solenoid Just Clicks And No Starter And No Crank But After Trying A Few More Times It'll Fire Up No Problem.

When it wont start have you tested to see if you have the proper voltage at the starter main positive wire as well as the smaller wire when trying to start the vehicle?You should have battery voltage on these wires.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I Don't Have The Equipment To Check It Unfortunately. It Has New Starter, New Battery Cable And Connectors And It's Still Doing The Same Thing. With Out The Proper Equipment To Check It What Would Your Thoughts Be On What's Causing This. This Way I Have Somewhere ToStart Looking Because Im About Lost.

From what you have described and with what I have seen in the past this sounds like an intermittent internal electrical fault in the electronic ignition switch itself needing replaced.

I would have this tested if possible when acting up to verify this but this can be a common fault.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I've Also Read That The Starter Relay Solenoid Could Cause This As Well. Is THere Truth To That And How Can I Test Both Of These Issues. If I Need To Invest In A Multimeter Again I Will But If There Is Another Way That Would Be Great. (Running Low On Cash And Doing All This Work As A Favor For Her)

If the vehicle isn't losing complete electrical power and only an issue with the starter or starting it can be the starter relay itself at fault.There is one check you can do to check this.In the under hood power distribution center is the starter relay.This should be an under hood fuse box.

Tap on this relay while someone is holding the key in the starting position and see if the engine then turns over and starts when this is acting up.If it does then this relay is at fault and needs replaced.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok And To Check The Electronic Ignition Switch Itself?

In order to do this you would need a multi meter to test electrical but I would start at the starter relay first.

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Haven't Had A Chance To Look At Her Car Again Yet Between Our Work Schedules But It Gives Me A Place To Start Again. Thank you.

Your welcome.Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks Pete