Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.

Ford Fairmont: in a 1993 falcon when I turn key to 1st position

in a 1993 falcon when I turn key to 1st position the fan & electric windows & radio work. when I turn to next position - ignition on, they drop out.
when I start & car running they stay dropped out?
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

From what you have described here this may be an internal electrical fault in the electronic ignition switch itself.If the switch is failing to send the correct signals out of it when the key is in the on or run positions it will cause this here and can be a common fault as I Have seen and have had to correct on some vehicles in the past with a new switch being installed.

I would have the signals tested out of this switch to see if this is the case here and if the signals are cutting out then the switch would need replaced.

Thanks Pete

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Pete,

The electrics on this car have been played with - all the heater control's have been removed & another window down button for drivers door installed.

They have taken a feed off the acc out wire from ignition switch to run fan + air cond solenoid + radio. This all works when key is in the acc position.

They have also taken a feed off the ignition out wire - I suspect to run the above equipment when car is running.

The independent drivers door switch only works when the key is in the ignition position - this is still operational.

So I have assumed that the power is going through the ignition switch as everything else on dash lights up as well.

I am looking at where the feed off the ignition wire out go to and seeing if there is a faulty connection there.

I have replaced the switch they installed to power the heater fan with a 12v 10amp one, as the 3 position house fan switch had 0.5mm wire in it that had melted.

I don't have a multimeter as you my have guessed so I haven't tested the signals out of the ignition switch as you suggested.

Regards Hamish

O.k.,let me know if there is anything else I can assist with here if you do not locate an issue with the feed off of the ignition switch and its connector.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The 2 feeds off the ignition switch are.

1. power feed to ignition switch has a wire coming off and goes directly to the radio - I suspect this is to keep the time & station settings when car turned off. This has power on it all the time.

2. The other wire off the ignition switch is the one that powers the radio heater & acc switch when key is in the 1st position.

This is the only wire that supply these components and so should work when the ignition switch is in the 2nd position (ignition on) but doesn't.

I think this brings me back to the ignition switch being the problem.

The way I see it I have 2 solutions.

1. try and source and buy another ignition switch - does this mean I have to do something with the alarm security system/ central locking? where would I get one that is any good - car being 20 years old.

2. buy a $10 12v on /off switch & take a feed off the power wire & wire it into wire that supplies heater ,radio, acc switch, windows up/down & mount it in the dash. Then when I want to run these items when the car is running I just turn it on.

By rights it shouldn't have any adverse affect on anything else as the power is meant to be on these items anyway

Your thoughts?

Regards Hamish

You can go with either option here as this does sound like the ignition switches found to be the fault.I would recommend to try and locate a new electronic ignition switch as this is the best route.Unfortunately from here I don't know for sure where you can obtain this from,possibly a local parts store.

You can run a 12 volt switched feed to the wire that isn't getting power when it should as well as I have seen some do but I would make sure you disconnect this wire from the electronic ignition switch this way your not back feeding voltage into the switch itself.

Thanks Pete