Edward
Edward, Service Technician
Experience:  20 + years experience on various makes and models.

Land Rover Discovery TD5 S: 2001 Land Rover discovery wont

2001 Land Rover discovery won't turn over. Happened last week and was started by AA by applying power underneath to starter motor. Got it to garage (auto electrician) and it sat there for 2 days till could be looked at. When they did it started fine & couldn't find the problem, left it another day and still OK. Has started several times since got it back then same problem last night. All lights on OK on dash but completely dead when turning ignition. Just tried locking & unlocking with key in drivers door & alarm goes off until unlocked with fob but still nothing on turning ignition.
Category: Car
Expert:  Edward replied 11 months ago.

Edward :

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will do all I can to help.

Edward :

Let me first ask, Is it cranking now or not? If it's not cranking right now, rake the gear stick from P to L a few times, then try to start in Neutral. Let me know if it will start in neutral or not.

Customer:

Not sure what you mean by P to L but moved gear stick around all gears an tried to start in Neutral but nothing. Not cranking at all. As I said in my question exactly same as last week where it sat at garage for a couple of days and started no problem

Edward :

Alright, what I was referring to is moving the gear stick around from Park to Low gear, and then cranking the engine in Neutral. If that made a difference, it would be the neutral safety switch.

Customer:

Saw answer http://www.justanswer.com/car/1cqrj-land-rover-discovery-2003-wont-turn-over-lights.html and wondered if it is immobiliser problem.

Customer:

However if immobilser issue should that not have prevented it from starting when AA guy put charge on starter underneath?

Edward :

It's possible, but, I would suspect the anti theft light to be blinking fast.

Edward :

or the parking lights to be blinking. Something else would be going on to alert you that it was immobiliser problem.

Edward :

I'm looking at the wiring diagram now, there is a starter relay in the Engine compartment fuse box.

Edward :

Give me just a few minutes. It may be something simple as a relay.

Edward :

I want to go for simple things first. Do you have a 12 volt test light and a familiar with using it by chance?

Customer:

The starter relay went about 3/4 months back and had to be replaced. The car was bump started and It was the same garage that found and resolved that then that the car was in last week. They checked that and it was OK. Sorry don't have the test light.

Edward :

That's alright, We need to pull the relay out of it's socket, and put a test light in the socket pins, and then get somebody in the car to work the ign. switch to see if the power from the switch is making it to the relay. But that would require either a test light or Volt meter. Does that sound like something you want to try? If not, I can give you a list of things it could be, and a wiring diagram. with approximate cost to fix. But this is going to require some electrical fault tracing in order to know for sure what the culprit is.

Customer:

I take it my best option is to get it started somehow as the AA guy did and get it back into the Auto electricians? As it was starting fine when he had it I appreciate there wasn't much he could do. Thought it worthwhile asking in here when I saw the other answer I referred to as it may be a fairly common issue.

Edward :

If you pull the starter relay under the hood, I can tell you how to jump it. if you have a paper clip. If he jumped it, and it ran, then it's not an immobiliser issue. How many ign. keys do you have? just 1?

Customer:

2 Keys

Edward :

Alright, does the problem happen with both keys? Also, put the key on and HOLD it in start position, and then slowly move the gear stick from P to L and back again. Sometimes if it's the Neutral Safety switch you can find a sweet spot and it will crank when you get the shifter in the right position.

Customer:

Same both keys moving gear stick does nothing

Edward :

Alright, It's most likely NOT immobiliser related, and most likely not the neutral safety switch then.

Edward :

You can take some jumper cables, clip one end to the battery + terminal, and take the other end , get under the truck, and touch the starter motor terminal where the cable goes into the starter to jump it, that will get it started. In my opinion, either the relay or relay connection is faulty, or you have a worn contacts in the ignition switch itself.

Customer:

OK can attempt that but unfortunately not right now. Thanks for your help.

Edward :

Absolutely, Thank you for using our site. let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer:

Got the guy from the local garage to have a look at it. Tried touching starter motor with jump lead and didn't start. Whilst looking at it he noticed that there was a relatively new spade connector onto the starter. He removed it and put it back in place. Next turn of the key it started no problem. Got the car to the auto electrician who unfortunately can't take right now. Connector in question he believes is the 'exciter' connector. So at this stage conclusion is possibly the connector wasn't making a good contact or there is a broken wire on that connector somewhere that on removing and replacing the connector has made wiring good again. It's started several times since but leaving it parked on hill until I get it into the auto electricians again so will be able to bump start if problem reoccurs and removing & replacing connector/moving wiring doesn't make any difference.

Edward, Service Technician
Experience: 20 + years experience on various makes and models.