sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 14 years dealership experience
9825021

Lexus ES350: I think my battery died because the car is not

I think my battery died because the car is not responding to the electronic key when i try to unlock it and i know the electronic key battery is fresh. I tried to open the driver's side door with the mechanical key and it is not working. The key turns, but the door won't open. What am i doing wrong?
Category: Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The door should open with the mechanical key no matter what. If the key turns and feels normal then most likely that problem is with the door latch. If you don't feel any resistance when you turn it then the linkage between the lock cylinder and the latch could be off.

It's possible that the fob portion of the key has failed and that's the reason you can't get in by pressing the unlock button. I see that it's been a while since you posted your question, if you still haven't been able to get in and are wanting to repair it on your own the first thing I'd recommend is having the fob tested to see if it's sending a signal. This can be done for free at many larger parts stores like Autozone.

You may end up having to enter the car using a lockout kit to move the door frame open enough to get a tool in and pull on the door handle, or a slim jim type of tool to go in through the window glass area and try to unlock it that way. If the linkage between the lock cylinder and latch is off or the latch itself has failed then a slim jim wouldn't work.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the comprehensive answer. I'm pretty sure the car battery is dead, not the fob. Is there any way to pop the hood from the outside so i could hook some cables up and attempt to jump the battery? I would rather avoid using a lockout kit if i could.

If it came down to using a lockout kit or trying get the hood open from the outside it's a way better choice to use the lockout kit. Trying to get the hood open without popping the primary release usually becomes destructive because there isn't a provision to get in from the outside.

Another option would be to try to connect jumper cables or a jump box from underneath. If you could safely connect the ground cable to a grounded engine part and the positive cable to the positive cable on the starter then you would have power and could use the unlock button on the fob to get in. After getting in and getting the hood open then I'd recommend jump starting it normally to get it running.
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 14 years dealership experience