Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Jaguar XJ-12: 94 XJ-12 w/100K miles. Summer in south Texas,

'94 XJ-12 w/100K miles. Summer in south Texas, using 20-50 oil (Valvoline) recently changed (clean) and full. Once at operating temp the oil pressure varies from near 0 (oil warning light flickers or comes on for a few seconds) to as high as 15 psi on the dashboard oil pressure gauge. At ~2200 to 2500 rpm the oil pressure is around 45 to 50 and steady. About the strange idle oil pressure, is there anything wrong? Is this normal? If not, what do I do about it?

Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

1) This is not an answer nor a direct info request to your concern.
2) First off I am checking to see if you have already resolved your concern.

3) If you do still need help, if there is anything more you think would help me answer your question, please reply with that info.

I am sorry you have had to wait so long for the first contact. Sometimes this happens when the question you ask is not detailed enough or its just hard to address online. Many have viewed your post, but have decided to pass. I will do my best to help you. I have access to many repair sites, so at the least I can provide something to address at least part of your concern if it is not something I can address from memory and experience.

I work on this site only in the evening hours 7 days a week. I am online normally from 3-midnight. At the latest you should get a response from me prior to 9pm TN time.

Thanks for using our site, we will do all we can to earn your business, again sorry we did not get to you sooner.

Chris

>

>

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Chris,

I have not received any answer or contact other than the one from you so any help you can give me will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Minimum idle oil pressure is 7psi, you need to check this manually not with the dash gauge to verify its within limits. If your getting 7psi or more at 700 rpms then replace the oil pressure transducer with a pressure switch. If your below 7psi then you have a concerns inside the engine with worn bearings and this is causing the oil pressure loss. The cure would be an overhaul however I recommend you just keep idling to a minimum and use an oil additive to keep the oil sticky so nothing needing lube starves from oil.