sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

535d: I have just bought a 2005 bmw 535d when you come to stop

I have just bought a 2005 bmw 535d when you come to stop the car does not idle and wants to still drive the only way around this is to put into neutral and then back to drive when you want to go again. I bought the car with this known fault, is it a common problem and something that can be fixed easily_

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If it idles ok in park and neutral but wants to keep pulling when you come to a stop in gear then your torque converter is most likely staying locked up.

In the front of the torque converter there is a disc clutch that is turned on and off to give a mechanical lock between the engine and transmission, lower RPM's and raise fuel mileage.

If the converter clutch stays locked up when coming to a stop then it will either feel like the car wants to keep pulling or it can sometimes kill the engine. Possible causes would be the torque converter itself, a sticking valve in the valve body or a bad solenoid on the valve body.