Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.

transfer case stuck in neutral

transfer case stuck in neutral
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

From what you have described here this sounds like the shifter guide/sheet is at fault causing the shifter to become out of place binding up the rods.I did locate a temporary fix that may work here on your vehicle but this does need corrected to correct this permanently.

Remove the 4 screws that connect the boot, turn the retainer cup until it releases and remove the shifter.Then take a screw driver thats long enough to get to the 3 rods that you can see but not to long that it'll hang up on the body,use the screw driver to reposition the rods back to their proper position.You may have to play around with the rods to get them back into place,I don't have a specific procedure on how this is done.Once the t-case is unlocked purchase a new shifter sheet/plate,you'll know what it looks like when you remove the old one.The old one is most likely worn and is not keeping the shifter in line causing it to slip out of the notches on the rods locking the t-case up.The part is generally inexpensive and easy to replace.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks your answer would have helped but it came too late, when we signed up the site lead us to believe someone was there to answer our question right then....if I had the option I would have not signed up...the car was taken to a transmission shop the next morning very early....

I apologize for the delay in response on this.In some cases some of us may not be on line at the time your question was posted and I think this is most likely why there wasn't a response right away.

I hope you can get this resolved with ease and if you need anything else let me know.

Thanks Pete