Eric N
Eric N, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master certified L1, L2, Diesel Certified 16 years experience

My car will not start. It is 2011 manual Soul. I have tried

Customer Question

My car will not start. It is 2011 manual Soul. I have tried moving steering wheel and turning everything off. Engage clutch -- nothing. Electrical all good.
Category: Car
Expert:  Eric N replied 8 months ago.

Eric :

Hi. It is common on the Soul for the starter to fail. You can verify this with a test light if you have one. Or another quick method is to hit the starter with a hammer while someone is trying to start the car.

Eric :

Because it is a manual, you could turn the ignition on and roll the vehicle (in gear with clutch pressed in) and then let out the clutch while the car is rolling and it should start. If you need to get it running right now.

Customer:

I just bought it from dealer. It had clean report. Why do you think it is happening?

Eric :

I think the starter has failed.

Customer:

Do you think it needs a new starter then? How much do those run?

Eric :

Yes I do. A starter is around 200 dollars and about 100 to install at a dealer or garage

Customer:

Thanks. I was just at a restaurant and valet parked. Guy had the same problem but then it started. I came home. Turned it off and tried to turn it over and it didn't start. Why do you think it ended up starting for valet guy? This never happened in the 2 weeks I have owned the car.

Eric :

The valet guy probably didn't do anything special. The contacts in the starter go bad. And sometimes they fail intermittantly, but I can gaurantee eventually it won't start at all.

Customer:

OK thanks. I will take it to dealership tomorrow. Hopefully jump starting it by pushing it will get it going. Reminds me of my VW from back in the day.

Eric :

Haha, just a little nicer vehicle right? Your welcome and if you have to leave it over night so they can verify that it will not start.

Customer:

I am not being charged $29 for each answer am I? Just 29 for this contact right?

Eric :

Yeah, its just for the whole "experience". But if you have questions in the future on your Soul, feel free to contact me as I am familiar with these vehicles.

Eric :

Do you have anything else you would like to ask now?

Customer:

No. I will have some one give me a push in the morning to get me to my appointment and then get another push to get it to dealership. Thanks Eric. If I have issues and need to use this service again how do request you?

Eric :

When you are filling out the question, there will be an option to request a specific technician.

Customer:

Thanks. XXXXX won't need to do this again. I am actually going to go out and see if I can get the car going before calling AAA in the morning if I have to do that. This is my last question -- the Soul is a good little vehicle isn't it? I hope I bought a good car. My 2 door 2008 Yaris was totalled in an accident. This is my replacement car.

Eric :

Yeah I haven't seen any major problems with them at all. Just the starters on them fail. I don't even see that many at the dealer, so that tells me they are running good. They get decent gas mileage too.

Customer:

Thanks Eric. You've been great. Good to know. :)

Eric N, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master certified L1, L2, Diesel Certified 16 years experience