Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.

fiat/Bertone x/19: I also bought an x19 that has been sitting

I also bought an x19 that has been sitting about a year. I put new fuel as well as injector cleaner (mine is an 84). it sputters but wont run. I have changed the plugs as well. Any ideas?

this sounds like a lack of fuel and could be a lack of fuel pressure from the electrical pump at the tank.

If the connections to the pump are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time or could not be running at full speed. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse,

Ideally measure the pressure at the inlet to the carb and if this is low check the pump as described and also consider changing the fuel filter as if this partially blocked this too will reduce pressure.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Since asking the first question I have checked the fuel. The pump works fine, I am getting fuel all the way to the injectors. I think it is electrical. I ordered new wires & distributor cap. I also checked coil, there doesn't seem to be any spark there. When I pull the coil wire off the dist. cap & try to arc it there is no spark when the ignition is turned on. What do you think?

Hello Micheal

its an electronic ignition on these so the coil lead won't arc unless the engine is turning

1st check for spark by removing one of the spark plugs and plug it back into its lead and rest it on the metal of the engine ( DO NOT hold it on place by hand) then have your assistant turn the engine over whilst you watch the plug. It should give a fat blue spark at regular intervals.

If not then check that there's power to the coil using a meter. If there’s 12V at the coil but no spark then check the ECU power supply (fuse and relay) and also the connections to the crank / engine speed sensor. this is inside the distributor

If there is a spark and its still not starting then its likely that the ECU isn't opening the fuel injectors, if the injectors are working you can hear them click - its difficult to hear them with background noise so use a long screwdriver like a stethoscope, placing the handle end in your ear and the metal tip against the body of the injector whilst your assistant turns the engine over.
If you can't hear anything check the ECU power is present by measuring voltage at the fusebox and on its relay socket if OK then check the connections to the crank speed sensor and consider replacing this sensor if the wiring / connections look OK

If the car will start using a squirt of quick/ easi start into the intake then this confirms the problem is lack of fuel

Also its worth checking that the electric pump that feeds the injectors is working correctly, it should run for a few seconds then switch off when you first turn the ignition on. If you remove the filler cap to the fuel tank and listen inside while your assistant flicks the ignition you should hear it clearly
If the connections to this are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse, ideally measure the voltage at the pump and check its getting 12V.
You should be getting around 3 bar measured at the injector rail check to see if the plugs are getting wet indicating fuel is flowing – if not and the injectors are opening then there’s a problem with the pump or the filter or even the pressure regulator

Could also be incorrect fuelling due to a faulty water temp sensor. If this is the problem then the ECU will never add the 'cold start' extra fuel required if the car starts OK when warm then I 'd look into changing the sensor.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It was the coil. FYI, the car has a rotor I don't believe it is electronic ignition.