Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic,foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.

Range Rover Vogue 2004: Have a 2004 RR Vogue. I was at a light.

Customer Question

Have a 2004 RR Vogue. I was at a light. Turned green so I hit the pedal and the rpm was stuck around 2000-3000 rpm, knocking noise and the car just wouldn't go forward except at a snails pace. Turned engine off for 2 mins. Started and pushed the gas, some knocking sound and then the car started to move. Whats the reason??
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 3 years ago.

Hello, welcome. My name is Mike, I will do my very best to
assist you with your question.

Did the check engine light come on or any warning lights come on?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Nothing ! NO warning lights. It was literally crawling and I could hear a knocking sound. Made it through the light at a snails pace. Turned it off. It kinda coughed this time but somehow the RPM stabilized and I was able to get it to my driveway. Engine temp stayed stable too !

The knocking sound that you are describing and the fact that the vehicle would barely move is consistent with the input shaft inside the torque converter being stripped and not catching enough to pull the vehicle.The first step is to have the vehicle hooked to a scan tool and check for codes and to monitor the torque converter lock up times and slip speed.Of course this issue is not that easy to diagnose without being with the vehicle but from the description this is what it sounds like and this issue can happen without warning.