Steve
Steve, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  25 years working as a service technician
43460220

camry: I have a 98 toyota camry 4cyl. Getting no spark to the

I have a 98 toyota camry 4cyl. Getting no spark to the plugs, what is the possibility that both coil packs failed at the same time or could it be the pcm or ?

Dave,

If you are getting no spark then you probably have a bad crankshaft position sensor. This tells the computer were the cylinders are and the pcm uses this sensor for spark timing. If the crankshaft position sensor fails then you will get no spark.
It is located at the front of the engine near the crankshaft pulley for the timing belt. You will need to remove the timing cover to get to it.
For a picture of location click here

If you have more questions and or need more information, please let me know. If you do not have any other questions then rate the chat by clickingthe excellent service happy face, and clicking the green submit button when it pops up. Thanks for using Just answer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

a little more info about the spark, a neighbor tested for the spark as i know nothing about meters but he said he did not get any readings from the coil end of cyl. 1,3,4 but got a reading on 2, does this change anything in your opinion?

Dave,
Do you mean you have no spark at cylinder #1,3,4 but the #2 coil has spark ?

If that is the case then you need to replace the coils for cylinder.

If all the coils for each cylinder do not have spark then it is the crank sensor.

If you have more questions and or need more information, please let me know. If you do not have any other questions then rate the chat by clicking the excellent service happy face, and clicking the green submit button when it pops up. Thanks for using Just answer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no, exact opposite steve, no spark on 134 and spark on 2

Dave,

If that is the case then you need to replace both the coils for cylinders.

If all the coils for each cylinder do not have spark then it is the crank sensor. Since you have spark at cylinder #2 You have bad coils.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it's not unusual for both coils to go out simutaneously?

Dave,
The computer triggers the coils you know coil That cylinder #2 is on is being trigged by the computer because you have spark the computer and siring is ok on that one on the coil is bad.
On the other coil check the power to the wire and make sure the compute is trigering the coil. If it is the coil is bad.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

can you repeat what you said, some of the wording did not come out right and I don't want to assume any of it. also can you tell me what the likeliness is that both coils would go out at the same time? thanks

You have two coils on the one coil is cylinder #2, #3 You know that coil is bad for sure because if it was not bad you would have no spark on cylinder #2. Since it is only cylinder # XXXXX that does not have spark and 2 is ok then that indicates the computer is firing that coil. The coil is bad.
On the other coil that does not have spark for both cylinders you have a power wire that goes to that coil and a trigger wire to create spark from the computer. Check to make sure you have constant power on the brown wire with the red stripe with the key on at the coil, If you do then use a noid light to see if the coil is being triggered by the computer on the Black wire on the one coil and the other coil is the yellow wire with the red stripe.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can you test the coil packs off the vehicle? cause I took them to autozone where they tested them and said they were good

Dave,

You may want to recheck for spark again. If you have spark at cylinder #2 then the coil is bad. maby you do not have spark and instead you may have a bad crank sensor.

I have never heard of testing them off the car before. If you can find a similar car hook them up to the other car and see if you get spark.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Found the problem to be a loose wire, I guess four eyes are better than two.

Dave,

I am glad you figured it out.

Have a great day.