Edward
Edward, Service Technician
Experience:  20 + years experience on various makes and models.
29534642

chrystler pt cruiser: I Turbo have a 2005 PT Cruiser Conv Turbo.

I Turbo have a 2005 PT Cruiser Conv Turbo. I am having check engine lights that keep coming on with random codes. We have changed the O2 sensors and I just recently had the computer in the car flashed. My mechanic is throwing up his hands without a conclusive answer of where to go next. Some insight will be great.
Category: Car
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem solved. Do you know what the codes are? Thank.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am calling the mechanic to get them directly.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok Dan I got a call back...

Po300 random miss fire

Po507

Po032

Po038

These are all codes that keep coming back

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
How does it run? At idle and highway speeds? Does check engine light ever flash? Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It seems to be running fine. At an idle and highway speed.

I commute about 12 miles home in the evening. At about 3-5 miles down the highway the light will start to flash....go off....flash again....go off....flash again and about 6-7 miles into my commute the light will then stay on.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
I'm going to open question up to see if someone else has some ideas, I do not have any info on these codes. Do not reply or question will be locked to me only, someone will respond automatically when they can help. Thanks.
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do all I can to help.

Let me first ask, has your mechanic replaced the spark plugs and check the plug wires yet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

we had...not that long ago. I will ask him when that last happened.

Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
OK, let me know. Also, could be the coil pack, ask him if the coil pack is original.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

wires, plugs, valve cover gasket replaced 7K miles ago. Sept 2012

Can sensor replaced @ 54K

coil pak is original

Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

OK, I would suggest working on the P0300 code first, as that is a random misfire code, and misfires can cause other codes to be stored.

1. Tell him to check the compression on all cylinders and make sure they are within spec. and that the plugs look good that he replaced a while back.

2. If compression is good, with everything else you've tried, I would replace the coil pack as it is responsible for firing the plugs, and may be arcing or shorting out not getting fire to all the plugs like it should.

3. He can check the coil pack by spraying it with a solution of baking soda and water and then revving the engine and watching it. If it arcs or he see's any sparks fly out of it, Then I would replace the coil pack.

Edward, Service Technician
Experience: 20 + years experience on various makes and models.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

well I appreciate your thought on the p0300..the mechanic does not feel that it is the issue...it has only showed this code twice..... While we are still having the same 3 code issues even after replacing the two o2 sensors...what would be the next thought of where to look? Possibly poor connections, grounds ?

Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
Alright, I understand , If he clears the codes out that are stored, do you know what code comes back ? and which code is stored first ? that is the primary code and should be adressed first.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

po057,po032,po038 are the primary three....

we have replaced the sensors for the 32,38

Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
Alright, the P0057 code lists these out of the shop manual as possible causes.

DTC Code:P0057
Description: Heated Oxygen Sensor Heater Control Circuit Low (Bank 2 Sensor 2)
Probable Causes:
  1. Sensor or solenoid faulty
  2. Connector terminal contact is damaged or corroded
  3. Wire harness - Check harness for correct voltage, open, short to ground or short to voltage
  4. Update control unit software - Check for the latest control unit update
  5. Powertrain or Engine Control Module faulty
  6. HO2S sensor contamination/damaged

If he checked the harness, and pinchecked the harness from PCM to the O2 sensors, and replaced the O2 sensors, then in my opinion the only thing it can be is a faulty PCM. He would need to install a breakout box, and pin check the PCM to make sure all grounds and power wires were good coming in and out of the PCM. If they are, (and I feel they are or it prob. wouldn't even start) I feel the PCM itself is causing this issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

po507?

Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
P0057. isn't that what you listed ?

"po057,po032,po038 are the primary three....

"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ooops sorry po507

Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
OK, the P0057 is for o2 sensor circuit, which is what you were talking about earlier.

P0507 is for idle speed out of range. That wouldn't cause your problem in my opinion.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

which I understand....that seems to be what is making it stall after my drive home.....

so let us talk the po032,po038

they are the 2 codes that still come back even tho they have been replaced

Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
yes, I really don't have another answer if he replaced the o2 sensors and those codes still come back other than the PCM itself. But he needs to pin check the harness from the PCM to the sensors and make sure there are no breaks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have relayed this to him. How likely is it that the PCM would need to be replaced? At 72,000K miles even? I appreciate your input today and your troubleshooting from what I have been able to convey to you. If I need to come back and ask any more question I certainly will. Thank you Edward. Victoria

Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
Absolutely your quite welcome, I've seen PCM's fail new right off the delivery truck if you can imagine! There really is no telling, But from what he's checked and already replaced, I would suspect the PCM or the harness. So tell him to pin check the harness from the PCM to the sensors. and if it's good, then I would suspect the PCM.