Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Isuzu Rodeo:

Customer Question

I have a 01 Isuzu Rodeo 2wd with a 3.2l and 160k miles. The problem here is it will randomly just stall while driving, tach will just drop to 0 suddenly, sometimes it will hop back from zero and start to run again others it will not. When this happens the check trans light and set cruise lights come on - these lights come on every time it stumbles but but go right back off when it catches itself. The check engine light is on with an egr insuff flow, I took the valve off and cleaned it as well as ports to intake and light has stayed off so far. I replaced crank sensor and vehicle seemed to be fine foor a day or so but now problems have returned. The reluctor wheel on the crank does not seem to be loose but is hard to get a good look at it. No stored or pendIng codes either.

EDIT : I just realized that with all 4 wheels off the ground when i shift the truck from drive to nuetral 6 out of 10 times it will instantly stall.

Category: Car
Expert:  mas12076 replied 3 years ago.

mas12076 :

Hello my name is Richard and I will do my best to assist you today and please remember to rate my answers with a good rating .On this particular model you should check for faulty wiring and connectors at the main harness coupling located on right side of engine bay .Disconnect these and verify that all pins are good and not corroded.This is a common issue with the 3.2 rodeo ,and another common issue is crank sensor wiring and connector.

Customer :

I just noticed that everytime I rev up high in park the light on the cruise button on the dash comes on along with "check trans" and "cruise set" on the cluster lights up and the goes right back off.

Customer :

If i wanted to do a resistance test for the throttle control wires from the etc connector to the ecu can you tell me what pins to test, I am now getting 1295 code and 1105? i think and i wiggle the main harness and it shut off several times, now it will not start at all. I would like to look for the broken wire but im not sure what pins to test on the ecu side.

mas12076 :

The common issue with these is where the main engine harness connects to the frame harness going to the ecu ,you should disconnect each plug and look inside them I don't think it's a broken wire if not a electro corroded pin.There isn't a specific pin you should check if not all of the pins since it's affecting numerous components .

Customer :

None of the pins in the ecu connectors are pushed back of corroded and the 4 connectors on the fire wall on air cleaner side look good as well.

mas12076 :

Pins are very small so be sure and check thoroughly .If you wiggle tested and it shut down then problem should be in connectors unless car has been in accident.

Customer :

I found the problem, it was a broken wire in the harness, I was able to get ahold of a wiring diagrahm and started testing at each pin for each connector and sure enough the blue and white reference wire going from the crank sensor to the ecu had a bad spot, I soldered in a new piece and have now driven it around for about a 1/2 hr without a single problem.

mas12076 :

Great I'm happy you were able to solve your issue ,