Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.

2007 Kia optima that the headlights come on by themselves.

I have a 2007 Kia optima that the headlights come on by themselves. It has automatic headlights, what could be causing this?  They come on after the ignition is turned off and the doors are shut and locked but the switch is left in the ON position.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If the headlights are coming on on their own after the vehicle is shut off and key is out of ignition this can be caused by the headlamp low relay coming on and sticking on (for the low beams if they are the ones coming on) or the headl lamp high relay (if this is the high beams coming on).To check this locate these relays and when the headlights come on on their own tap on the affected relay and see if they turn off.If they do then this relay needs replaced.If they still do not some electrical testing would need to be done to test and see if the relay itself is the cause here or if the BCM (body control module) is the fault as the BCM controls the light output and can develop an internal electrical failure and cause this here.

If you have a test light or multi meter for testing electrical I can tell you how to test this here to be sure of which component is causing this just let me know.Both the relays and BCM can be a common component for this fault here.

Thanks Pete

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete