Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

Mitsubishi challenger: I have a 1996 Mitsubishi Challenger

I have a 1996 Mitsubishi Challenger 2.8 Diesel turbo 4m40t and it requires topping up the coolant daily , it has no external leakage any where , holds a pressure test on the radiator, does not overheat, runs very nicely and starts easy hot or cold, no leaks inside the cabin eg heater, no water in oil , all compressions are within 8% of each other yet still requires a considerable amount of water? 1 pint per 150 miles
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

From what you have described here this sounds like you may have a slight leak with a head gasket issue here.In some cases the head gasket can develop a leak that allows a small amount of coolant to enter the combustion chamber/cylinders and is burned off in the cylinders.With a small amount leaking this wont cause excessive white smoke or running issues as this will slowly leak and burn off over time throughout the day.

From what is described here this sounds like what may be occurring needing checked into and corrected to correct this here.

Thanks Pete

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello Pete

Sorry for the late reply I took on board your comments and did a TK test to check for hydrocarbons in the radiator and it came back negative ? would the leak go both ways water in gas out ?

I have seen coolant seep into the combustion chambers and a gas leak test come back negative before so it is still possible this is the case here.This can be difficult to detected when this is the fault but if you have no external coolant leaks anywhere and everything checks out o.k. most likely this is the fault here as I have seen several times in the past.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Many thanks for your help it looks as if we can not avoid removing the head gasket.

I would recommend this service to anyone

Thank you

Your welcome.Let us know if you need anything else in the future.

Thanks Pete