Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Red Seal Journeyman Technician, 20 Years experience

I have a 1986&1/2 Nissan hardbody pickup-4 cylinder-d21,throttle

I have a 1986&1/2 Nissan hardbody pickup-4 cylinder-d21,throttle body engine. It has a fairly new rebuilt engine and just 3 weeks ago I had to have a new head put on as I'd overheated it. Not new head but a rebuilt one. It ran pretty good,not as much power as it use to have before, until I was going about 50mph and I heard a strange noise like something broke and it would not run anymore,so I had it towed. My friend took the carburator up and gas, unburned spits out on the exhaust, there seems to be no compression. The head is guarenteed for a year could that be the cause of this??
Hi there - It sounds like the timing chain may have skipped or broke. Have you taken the valve cover off to check? Did it get a new timing chain and sprockets when you replaced the head? A compression check may be helpful, then I would be having a look at the timing chain. It is possible that the head is the issue, but I would look at the chain and camshaft timing before blaming the head. Canuck