K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade

Cadillac Seville: 1991 Seville - loud Engine growl.I have

1991 Seville - loud Engine growl.
I have changed out the power steering pump on my Caddy to stop a loud engine growl. I had assumed the source of the noise was coming from the pump. The growl remains! Hopefully the reconditioned pump isnt bad. The pitch changes with the RPMs and is very loud, can hear it a block away.

Q: Any ideas on what it could be? Doesn't have any leaks that would indicate a water pump, but I am open to that possibility or others.

Hello Rich, What you're going to need to do is get either a mechanics stethoscope or long screwdriver to use like one. Check at the alternator, belt idler pulley, power steering pump and water pump with it for the noise.
I would start at the alternator. Failed front bearings on those are very common. If you need additional help just let me know.