Edward
Edward, Service Technician
Experience:  20 + years experience on various makes and models.
29534642

Cadillac Deville: I have a 2003 Cadillac Deville which recently

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Cadillac Deville which recently had its brakes redone. Ever since, whenever I start braking, seemingly after the car has warmed up, there is a serious moaning sound that doesn't stop until I come to a complete stop.

My husband's friends all say that it's a loose bearing somewhere and to not worry about it; it's nothing dangerous and doesn't need to be fixed. Well, I worry! It didn't happen till the brakes were done and I want the moaning to stop.

Any ideas as to what it could be and how to fix it?

Many thanks.
Category: Car
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do all I can to help. Let me first ask, do you know if whomever performed the brake job machined or replaced the brake rotors or not? let me know. thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry to be so long in replying; forgot about it when left computer. Hubby says that rotors were replaced.

Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
Alright, If the rotors were replaced, then most likely the moaning is due to the brake pads either not being of the best quality (ceramic wagoner therma quiets I recommend) Or the pads are not bevelled on the ends. and tend to "grab" the rotor more. If the pads aren't bevelled, then I usually take a file or take the pad to a grinding wheel and put a bevel on it. Because that cut's down on the noisey operation.

Also, I have seen brand new rotors right out of the box be out of round before, and I've had to turn them slightly to get the true. So, in summary, what I would recommend. Is checking to make sure he put high quality ceramic brake pads back on the vehicle, and make sure they are bevelled, and get him to barely machine the rotors, take off may .010 thousands of an inch to make sure they are true. Here is the picture of bevelled pads vs. pads that aren't bevelled. You want them bevelled.

Here is a bevelled pad.

graphic

Here is a unbevelled pad.

graphic
Edward, Service Technician
Experience: 20 + years experience on various makes and models.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you very much, Edward. I really appreciate this. My computer lost its internet connection and it took some time for me to get it back. Sorry for keeping you "hanging" for so long.

Sue

Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Oh that's fine, Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I already rated you, yesterday at the same time as I thanked you again. I do not see a place on this site to rate you again, but as you should be able to see, I rated your expertise and help as "Excellent".

Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I see that now. thank you for using our site, and have a great week!