Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.

I have a 1988 xjs. the driver side window will not roll down

I have a 1988 xjs. the driver side window will not roll down most of the time however, once in a great while it will, so I have to assume that the problem is not the motor. Do you have any suggestions?
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

There is a thermal breaker and a power window relay that can act up and cause window issues other then the window switch,window motor and wiring but if the thermal breaker or window relay is acting up causing this this would also affect the right passenger side window operation as well so if the passenger window is operating properly most likely these two components are o.k.

This indicates the fault is either the wiring to or from the window switch (since the switch was replaced) or the window motor itself and most common I have run into is the window motor itself failing intermittently.

What needs to be done is to locate the two wires that plug into this window motor and take a multi meter or test light and test between the two wires with the window switch plugged in and key on,then try and roll down and up the window and see if your test light lights or if the multi meter shows battery voltage.If they do then this indicates the window motor has an internal intermittent electrical fault needing replaced.

If you do not then I would inspect the wiring that leads to the switch including where it passes from the body to the door and inside the door to the window motor to see if any wiring is found damaged.If any is then it needs repaired to correct this here.

Thanks Pete

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete