Eric N
Eric N, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master certified L1, L2, Diesel Certified 16 years experience
34559540

vovlo xc90: Hello, I have a 2006 Volvo xc90 that had 17inch

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 2006 Volvo xc90 that had 17inch rims and all terrain tires which were a little loud. I purchased new 18 inch rims specifically for my vehicle from OE Wheels online and I bought a new set of touring tires local. The shop that was mounting and balancing the new rims and tires said that the rims would not set flush on the hub. They said the wheel hub lip that one uses to help put a wheel into position had a bevel on it and that it was preventing the wheel from seating all the way leaving a gap of about 1/8 inch and was unsafe. They said the rims were not drilled properly and would need to be redrilled at a machine shop. Now comes the question, the shop owner said that the other alternative would be to sand down the bevel which was preventing the rim from seating properly and the problem would be solved without any machining of the rims. They said that it would be completely safe as the bevel does not hold help hold the wheel on but aids in mounting. I gave them the go ahead and feel uneasy about the situation. Should I be concerned? And was it okay for the shop to modify the bevel so the rim would fit?
Category: Car
Expert:  Eric N replied 1 year ago.

Eric :

Hi. As long as the inner diameter of the rim will fit tightly around the diameter of the wheel hub then everything should be safe.

Eric :

Also, if the wheel does not sit flush against the rotor there will be a vibration.

Eric :

And I would also feel that the shop will use safe practices as they probably would not put there business on the line by performing an act that was unsafe.

Customer:

Full Size Image

Eric :

Is that how the rim is now?

Customer:

This is a picture of one of the rims and they all are like this one. There is a gap in all.

Customer:

yes

Eric :

I thought by removing the bevel it was going to sit flush with the rotor

Customer:

I did too. Take a look at what he did.. Stand by. I have got to load this photo.

Eric :

ok

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

His work with the bevel in progess

Eric :

I am not sure I like that because there has to be a sufficiant surface for the rim to sit on the hub and support the weight.

Eric :

The hub, as you are probably aware, centers the wheel and supports the weight.

Customer:

As you said, there is a strong vibration at 55+ and I think it is because of these gaps and not bad balancing. I go back tomorrow at 1pm for him to fix this situation that he has made. My question is, what should I look for and what might fix the problem? It looks to me like the hub has been cut back completely which would be crazy for him to do.

Eric :

I agree. I think the hubs need to be replaced and the correct rims purchased.

Customer:

10-4 thanks

Eric N, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master certified L1, L2, Diesel Certified 16 years experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I replaced all the hubs and bought the factory OEM Volvo rims for the car. I figured it was best to go factory and do it right. The shop will replace all hubs and mount/balance the new rims and tires. They are also going to do a break job as well with the new breaks that supposedly don't throw out black dust but an off white dust. All work is scheduled to be done on Tuesday.