EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master certified L1, L2, Diesel Certified 16 years experience
34559540

when the car is in drive, it strongly jerks forward and makes noise. I

when the car is in drive, it strongly jerks forward and makes noise. I had to drive it in 3rd. The engine light is on. The transmission is 3 years old. The battery is two weeks old. What could be the problem and how long can I drive the car in 3rd? Thank you
Francesca
Hi. Having the code checked to see what turned the check engine light on, could lead to a more specific problem. Although, if you can drive with the transmission in 3rd with no problems then I would suspect a problem with the transmission. You can check the fluid level with the engine running and in park. Driving the car in 3rd will eventually cause more damage to the transmission, as the internal clutches will be slipping more to get the car started in 3rd gear. And it will cause the transmission temperature to be higher will driving. Let me know if you have more questions. Thanks, Eric