sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 14 years dealership experience
9825021

Chevy Corsica: I have a 1993 Mercury Corsica, I pulled into

I have a 1993 Mercury Corsica, I pulled into the driveway this morning, I herd and felt a "POP" and suddenly can not turn the front wheels to save my life. The belt is fine, power steering pump is full, nothing leaking, if I pull extremely hard on the steering wheel it makes a slight pop and moves a little but the front tires wont move at all. What is wrong?
Category: Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If you had just lost power steering you'd still be able to turn the wheel, albeit hard. It sounds like you have a mechanical failure, most likely in the steering rack.

What I would first recommend is getting the front of the car off the ground and do a visual inspection to make sure the tie rods aren't bent, nothing foreign has wedged itself anywhere and preventing the wheels from turning, etc. A failed ball joint could potentially make the steering hard to turn but shouldn't prevent it from turning at all, but see if the wheels will turn with the front of the car off the ground. If you're able to turn it with the weight off the ball joints then one of them may be causing the problem.

Most likely the problem is in the steering rack. If the wheels don't turn when off the ground and you can't see any visual problems then I would next remove the intermediate shaft from the rack and see if you can turn the wheels left and right by hand. If not then the problem. is in the rack.

sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 14 years dealership experience