Edward
Edward, Service Technician
Experience:  20 + years experience on various makes and models.
29534642

I have a 1999 Land Rover Discovery SD. It wont stay running

I have a 1999 Land Rover Discovery SD. It won't stay running when started. Fuel filter was changed but no luck. Now, I'm told I probably need a new fuel pump. Do you think I do & if so what type of pump do I need?

Edward :

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do all I can to help.

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX confused.

Edward :

It's very possible you do need a fuel pump to correct this problem. However, you would need a fuel pressure gauge to know for 100% sure. If it is original though, then I would suspect it. Do you know if they used a fuel pressure gauge to determine if the pump was bad or not?

Customer:

I don't know.

Edward :

Alright, Will it run at all? and after it starts does it stumble and stall? is that the symptom?

Customer:

Yes, it does that.

Customer:

Also, the rear door won't open....could that be related to the problem?

Edward :

Alright, you are speaking of the very back door? that goes to the cargo area in the back? where the jumper seats are? or a rear passenger door?

Customer:

The very back door. Also, I'm not sure what kind of fuel pump I need...is it without evaporative type?

Edward :

The rear door not opening wouldn't be related, usually the handles stick and you need to pry the handle back down and spray it with some wd 40 or pb blaster to get it to release.

Customer:

ok

Edward :

There is also an access door in the floorboard of the cargo area to replace the pump.

Edward :

you don't need to remove the fuel tank.

Customer:

Yes, that is where he was looking...

Edward :

You can get just the pump on ebay for about 50-60 dollars, however, that does require disassembling the pump assembly, just to replace the electrical portion of the pump itself. which is a little more labor. I would probably go ahead and replace the entire pump assembly. they are about 100$ .

Customer:

I saw something online that it may be the ECU...is that possible? How would i know?

Customer:

What would I look for on ebay?

Customer:

Is this it?

Edward :

You would have to install a fuel pressure gauge, that is the only test that will tell you if the fuel pump is putting out enough pressure or not.

Customer: New Electric Fuel Pump Gas With Sending Unit Land Rover Discovery 99 97 ESR3926
Edward :

You will need 35-45 psi with engine running. If the pump is weak, you'll have less than 20.

Customer:

But if the engine won't run, how do I do that?

Edward :

You just turn the key ON Engine OFF. and that makes the pump run, it cycles the pump

Edward :

So with key ON Engine off, you should have 40 psi of fuel pressure.

Customer:

So, will that fuel pump I found on ebay work...is that what you were talking about?

Customer: New Electric Fuel Pump Gas With Sending Unit Land Rover Discovery 99 97 ESR3926
Edward :

yes that's it

Edward :

ESR 3926 is for 99 disco II

Customer:

But isn't the SD a I?

Edward :

No, Series II debut in 98 and all 99's in USA are series II. Series I was from 94-97

Customer:

I saw online that the 99 Land Rover SD is a I?

Edward :

The Series II Discovery debuted in autumn 1998 and in the US in 1999. Land Rover promoted that the Discovery Series II had been modified with 720 'differences'. The interior and exterior was re-worked to be less utilitarian, but it was still similar to the Series I. Every body panel was new except the rear door outer skin. The rear body was extended to improve load space but at the expense of added rear overhang, which adversely impacted off-road ability.

Edward :

I believe the fuel pumps are all the same from 96-02 anyway. fyi.

Customer:

On the back it says V8i

Customer:

I just want to make sure i don't order the wrong thing....

Edward :

That stands for injection.

Customer:

So, you're sure that pump is the right one?

Edward :

Yes it will fit a 99 land rover. with 4.0 engine.

Customer:

Do you know if my fuel pump has 1 connector or 2?

Edward :

your speaking of electrical connectors? or fuel line connectors?

Customer:

Is it a non evaporative or an evaporative type?

Edward :

It will be evaporative type. but I don't think that makes a difference.

Customer:

I just called the company selling that fuel pump & they said I need to know that in order to get the right pump.

Edward :

That's really interesting, Every Land Rover that is in the US has evaporative emissions with a carbon canister on it. So I don't know what they are referring to.

Customer:

They're the second auto parts place that told me that today?

Edward :

Ask them if they can go by the VIN number.

Edward :

and the 8th digit being your engine code?

Edward :

ask them if that will help them.

Customer:

I gave them the VIN # XXXXX they couldn't tell.

Edward :

Ok give me a few minutes please.

Edward :

OK, I will not be able to get this information until tom. as my contact at Land Rover parts is closed. I apologize, let me opt out and let another assist. I don't want to keep you waiting.

Customer:

Ok, the person who looked at the car just told me that it has a 4 prong & a 3 prong connector as well 2 lines coming out of it.

Customer:

What do I do now?

Customer:

Why do you keep leaving?

Edward :

I opted out of the question, so another person could assist, because I didn't have your answer.

Edward :

however, I see that no one grabbed your question. So no one currently online may have the information on whether yours is evaporative style or not.

Customer:

But no one came?

Edward :

Here is a suggestion, if you have 2 fuel lines, and 2 connectors, match that up to the new pump. Ask the parts guy how many lines and connections are on the replacement pump.

Customer:

While you were gone, I discovered it is the evaporative kind so the one I showed you won't work, right?

Edward :

My theory on that is this, the evaporative pump has one extra port, where a vacuum line can connect, so it will work, you would just have to plug that port with a vacuum cap.

Edward :

It's got 2 fuel lines, and 2 connectors correct?

Edward :

the pump that is currently installed?

Customer:

Yes

Edward :

Alright, so that's all you need to tell the parts guy you need, is the pump with 2 fuel line connectors and 2 electrical connectors.

Edward :

has the the pump currently installed got any kind of part number wrote on it at the top?

Customer:

I don't know but the 2 connector type seems to be 4x more expensive

Edward :

yes it does, because it has a pressure sensor.

Edward :

it says with pressure sensor/ (evap type) or without pressure sensor.

Customer:

Do you think it's worth replacing if I'm just going to sell the vehicle since we're not sure that it's really the problem?

Edward :

I'm sure you would get more money for it if it was running? If it was running would you still sell it?

Customer:

Yes

Edward :

That depends on the buyer I guess. and if he is mechanically inclined, you can tell him it needs a fuel pump. but, it would be easier to sell if it was running. I don't know. That's a tough question! :)

Edward :

Have you had a while?

Customer:

Not really....my granddaughter was driving it but now wants something more economical. Do you have any reccomendations on where I can find the best deal on one?

Edward :

I understand that, because they are gas hogs, I've got a 97.

Edward :

the best deal on a fuel pump?

Customer:

Yes

Edward :

Does the person looking at it have a test light by chance? I would like for him to check power to the pump if he knows how when cranking. '

Customer:

Is it possible to buy a used one?

Edward :

yes it is.

Edward :

You could check with salvage yards.

Customer:

Ok, that's what I'll do. Thanks for all your help. I really hope that this will solve the problem.

Edward :

Alright, you can get JUST the pump part. check with oreilly or auto zone. maybe get just the pump for 60-80 dollars.

Edward :

it will install in the assembly when you take the assembly out of the tank.

Customer:

That's an idea.

Edward :

Yes, before you get one from a salvage yard, ask them when the got that car in, if it's been sitting more than a year or so, i'd stay away from it. fuel pumps are electrical and as anything electrical that spins, if it sits in soaked in gas for a year without working, I would be leary of it.

Customer:

What am I looking for in regards XXXXX XXXXX the pump part? I'm checking the Oreilly website now.

Edward :

It will just be the pump with 1 connector and a port for the fuel line. It will look similar to this.

Customer:

I didn't get the image

Edward :

Sometimes it takes just a minute to load .

Edward :

I see it on my end. do you see it now?

Customer:

At Oreilly, you have to buy the whole unit

Edward :

for what 200$?

Edward :

See if autozone list just a pump. If not, try Napa, I know Napa had just a pump for mine.

Customer:

$500 plus

Customer:

:(

Edward :

jeez

Edward :

Try Napa.

Customer:

I know...

Edward :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-OEM-Replace-Intank-Fuel-Pump-Install-Kit-/281038412311?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1999|Model%3ADiscovery&hash=item416f31da17&vxp=mtr

Edward :

That will work.

Edward :

copy and paste that link.

Edward :

That's just a pump.

Customer:

Awesome...thanks so much!

Edward :

You got it, I'd go that route.

Customer:

Ok, sounds good...thank you so much for all your help. I'm sorry I was so difficult but i did say I knew nothing about this. It's times like this I really miss my husband.

Edward :

I understand completely, and if my contact at Land Rover had been working today, it might not have taken very long, but I believe we got it figured out. Thank you.

Edward :

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Customer:

I will...thanks again!

Edward :

alright, please rate my service positive, and thank you for using our site.

Customer:

I will, bye, Edward.

Have a great rest of the weekend.