Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.

Saab 9-5 Arc: My 2005 9-5 will not start.It attempts to turn

My 2005 9-5 will not start.
It attempts to turn over but will not until they starter fatigues out.
The lights and power lock sworn fine.
We have also been smelling a faint gas smell.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

From what you have described here it sounds like you have fuel to the engine and the injectors are operating due to the fuel smell and that your starter is engaging as it is fatigued out or the battery is draining down from cranking over the engine,this sounds like spark is missing at the engine and this is a no spark issue.If the starter is not engaging to turn over the engine let me know.

This can be caused by a faulty ignition control module not operating to fire off the spark to the spark plugs.

The first thing I would do here is have the fault codes checked with a scan tool or code reader to see if any codes have set.If any codes have set this will aid with this diagnosis for repair.The ignition components like the module signals would need tested with a multi meter as well as a scan tool to monitor the engine and ignition data to locate this fault here.Ignition control module failure can be common.

Thanks Pete

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete