Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Master Auto Tech
Experience:  Master, L1, L2, ASE 15yrs and running.
19871424

Bentley Continental GT: Hi, I just got a 2006 Bentley Continental

I just got a 2006 Bentley Continental GT in very good condition, but one thing just annoying me that there is an air pump working sound around left front suspension which is quite laud and sounding from time to time. My mechanic told me that is the air pump assist for the braking system... He changed it to a new one, it sound quieter, but you can still hearing it from time to time. I don't believe inside a Bentley you should hear a sound like that. Pls tell me if this sound is normal? or how can I fix it.

Thanks
Jim
Category: Car
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

Eurocar Inc. :

Hello there! I'm Eurocar ! I will try to assist you as much as I can. Quality research = Quality answer!!

Eurocar Inc. :

that air compressor is for the air suspension for the vehicle. the suspension is auto leveling. it is not like the older RR and Bentley setups because they were hydraulic.

Eurocar Inc. :

some noise from that is normal.

Eurocar Inc. :

also there is on some models an brake vacuum pump that is electric and with some W12 engines the vacuum is not enough to operate the power booster for the brakes so an vacuum pump is necessary for certain conditions.

Eurocar Inc. :

some noise will be normal . they do come apart on the inside and make more noise than usual then they are deemed to be replaced.

Eurocar Inc. :

since you have replaced the pump the noise is more subtle now but some noise will be there .

Eurocar Inc. :

also with the compressor pump for the air suspension will make some noise too to keep pressure to the storage tank (over 100 psi) .

Eurocar Inc. :

I understand that Bentley is a fine automobile and you just purchasing it you expect high expectations too. I do know safety is a big thing for them and for the customer.

Eurocar Inc. :

with out hearing these noise is hard because .... you know but since you have replaced the brake vac pump already and you noticed a difference in noise level but you do still hear the noise. some noise is normal . if it is a more continuous noise for a longer period of time I would investigate it more than short bursts.

Eurocar Inc. :

I hope that helps out !

Eurocar Inc. :

please let me know if anything else

Eurocar Inc. :

thanks

Customer:

Customer:

Thank you for answering. My mechanic also told me he detects this sound on every Bentley he encountered, and noise in my car is in low level (after replace the pump). Just I am not sure how can a fine car like this the maker does not try to improve this noise??

Customer:

Will this pump heating up during working condition? In your opinion, is it possible I can do some isolation try to reduce the noise down even further?

Customer:

I think Bentley should move this pump to rear end of the vehicle or do some sound insolation on it.

Customer:

Anyway, thanks for confirming this for me.

Customer:

Cheers.

Customer:

JIm

Eurocar Inc. : The isolation of this noise I would not recommend. You
Eurocar Inc. : may alter operation , performance and safety.
Eurocar Inc. : I understand your side of it.
Eurocar Inc. : If you have anything else just respond. If not please take the time to fill out positive feedback for assistance given.
Eurocar Inc. : THANKS
Wolfgang, Master Auto Tech
Experience: Master, L1, L2, ASE 15yrs and running.