sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 14 years dealership experience

ignition indicator light keeps coming on and staying on, the

Customer Question

2007 PT Cruiser ignition indicator light keeps coming on and staying on, the spark plugs, leads and coil have all been replaced but it is still on???????what else can it be please

Submitted: 12 months ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 12 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Is it the check engine light that's coming on, an orange outline of an engine? There are several things that will turn the engine light on.

When the light is on that is because the powertrain control module (PCM) has seen a problem somewhere in a monitored system and set a fault code. THe problem could be transmission related, evaporative emissions related, any of the sensors on the engine or transmission, the catalytic converter, loose or bad fuel cap, etc. There are dozens of possible fault codes that can set.

The first step in diagnosing the problem is seeing what fault codes are stored. This can be done with a scan tool or code reader or with the built in feature by cycling the key three times.

If you know what fault codes are setting then let me know and I'll be able to give you possible causes based on the codes.

If you don't know what codes are stored then we can try the built in code read feature and see what comes up.

If the orange outline of an engine isn't the warning light you are seeing then please describe the color and shape of the light.

sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 14 years dealership experience
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Yes it is the orange light, the codes are unknown by me.

Do you have the car near? Let's try to see what fault codes are stored.

With the doors closed cycle the key from off to on three times ending with it on and watch the digital odometer display. Don't crank the starter, just off to on. The codes start with a P and have four numbers, there may be more than one stored. Write down any that you see and post them here.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

I tried the key turning to get codes but no codes were visible.....what next please

If you're unable to get the built in feature to work then the codes will need to be read with a scan tool or code reader. Here in the US this can be done for free at most large parts stores, this may be something available to you.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

ok thanks so much...I am in Tasmania Australia.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
I will have it checked out again, my mechanic seems a bit stumped, as by all accounts this model is renown for it..oops probably should have checked before I bought it. Thanks anyway for your suggestions.

Your welcome and good luck!