Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.

Land Rover Range Rover: 2004 range rover. Took whole dash etc

Customer Question

2004 range rover. Took whole dash etc out to replace the evaporator core. Put everything back and now can't get the air flowing to dash vents and defrost vents. Any ideas?
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
My name is Pete and I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and hope I can still assist you with this here.

What usually occurs as I have done and seen before several times myself is one of the electrical connectors can become unplugged or may have been left unplugged or is damaged that plugs into one of the actuators on the heater box itself.

I would inspect the electrical connectors and wiring under the dash at the heater box to see if anything was left loose or disconnected or even damaged.If anything is found it needs reconnected or repaired to correct this here.

If this has already been done let me know.If you need any location info on this let me know as well.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I know everything was plugged in. It is all color coated so there can be no errors. ALL of the flaps don't operate when pressing the corresponding buttons (that light up). Air is only coming out of the foot wells (both).

Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Were there any vacuum hoses connected to the heater box or actuators or anything else you had removed?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
O.k.,lets try and reset the heater/ac controller to see if this resets the actuators for proper operations.

Locate the passenger side compartment fuse box and locate fuses 12 which is a 10 amp fuse and 34 which is a 7.5 amp fuse and remove these fuses with the key off for about 5 minutes.

Then reinstall the fuses and turn on the key and wait 1 minute before touching any heater or ac controls.After one minute start up the vehicle and see if it operates properly then and let me know.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, unfortunately this did not solve the issue. I had already tried it by disconnecting battery to hopefully reset. But I went ahead and tried this as well.

Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Do you have access to a scan tool to check fault codes in the vehicles computers?This would need to be one that can communicate with all computers in this vehicle.If so are any fault codes set for the heating/ac control unit?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I had already used scan and there were no fault codes and that is why I posted the question. I took the center console back out and found a very small wire in back on left side loose, probably from the effort to shimmy into place. All working well now!

Thanks for your efforts.

Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
O.k.,I wasn't sure if you had checked the fault codes as I didn't see anything listed on the fault codes being checked already here.I am glad to hear the fault was located and resolved and hope my help above did help in some way for this here.

If you need anything else in the future let us know.Feel free to rate my help above when your ready.

Thanks Pete