Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Jaguar Vanden Plas: 1997 Jaguar XJ Vanden Plas straight 6,104,000

1997 Jaguar XJ Vanden Plas straight 6,104,000 miles. It is running rough and has a codes of multiple cylinder misfires/ random misfire. I have, so far, replaced alternator, spark plugs (ngk),replaced ignition coils,cleaned throttle body butterfly, and O2 sensors were replaced in the last 18 months have maybe 10k miles on them.Any Ideas as to what could be causing the rough idle?
Category: Car
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for visiting Just Answer.

1) This is not an answer nor a direct info request to your concern.
2) First off I am checking to see if you have already resolved your concern.

3) If you do still need help, if there is anything more you think would help me answer your question, please reply with that info.

I am sorry you have had to wait so long for the first contact. Sometimes this happens when the question you ask is not detailed enough or its just hard to address online. Many have viewed your post, but have decided to pass. I will do my best to help you. I have access to many repair sites, so at the least I can provide something to address at least part of your concern if it is not something I can address from memory and experience.

I work on this site only in the evening hours 7 days a week. I am online normally from 3-midnight. At the latest you should get a response from me prior to 9pm TN time.

Thanks for using our site, we will do all we can to earn your business, again sorry we did not get to you sooner.

Chris

>

>

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no answer yet

You mentioned rough running then rough idle, is it both?

Can you feel it misfiring and is it intermittent?

What is the engine running fuel pressure?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

idle is some times smooth, sometimes rough.

on highway it will be smooth, get rough, check engine blinks, let off gas, and smooths out, re-apply gas, runs ok.

have not checked fuel pressure

seems to happen more when warmed up

When it gets rough on the highway, that's the misfire occurring so a fuel pressure test is needed. You will also ant to rule out dirty injector by doubling up on some STP cleaner in the fuel for a full tank. Once you have done this and ran the vehicle about 100 miles with the cleaner in it, let me know the fuel pressure while running.

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience: 16 years of experience