Edward
Edward, Service Technician
Experience:  20 + years experience on various makes and models.
29534642

Lincoln Mark VIII: I have a Mark 8 with anti knock fault code

Customer Question

I have a Mark 8 with anti knock fault code but can't find a new sensor how can I fix the problem ?
Category: Car
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for your question, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do all I can to help. While Ford has discontinued some earlier model knock sensors, you can use a Standard Motor Products KS-19 knock sensor in your model Mark VIII. Here is a link to copy and paste.

http://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/x,catalog,154,partnum,KS19,d,STANDARD_MOTOR_PRODUCTS_KS19.html

Please let me know if you have any further questions. thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK were on the engine is the knock sensor ?

Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
There are two knock sensors on 4.6L engine, and they are both underneath the lower intake manifold screwed into two threaded risers. You have to take off the intake manifold to get to them. The book time for the operation is, around 5 hours labor.

Knock Sensor, Replace (b)

Labor Times
CommentsFactoryRegularSevere
both3.35.25.4
one3.25.05.2

Here is where they are under the intake.

graphic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I assume it would be the smart thing to change both ?

Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
yes absolutely. if your there you really need to change both.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The car has the air ride that will not lower a speed instead it rises and when it is parked the front struts lose air over night sometimes and sometimes not for 4 or 5 days. The rear air bags are fine. Any suggestions?

Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
The automatic ride height sensors in the front are common to break. Check the sensors in the front, if they are alright and the balls are on the arms and they are connected, then you really need a Ford scan tool to get into the Automatic Ride Control module and read the codes off.

To check them you will need to turn the air ride switch OFF(located in trunk on left side).

To check front sensors, jack front up and remove the front tires, then remove the front wheel splash shields to access the ridde height sensors.

graphic

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Are there any code readers on the market that read the air ride codes?

The one I have only reads the engine codes

Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
Yes, there are some but they are not cheap. Snap Modis. or Mac ET6500, regular OBD won't read them. The old Ford Rotunda scan tool we had before OBDII is what I would prefer to read them with, but I don't think you can find one in existence anymore. You might get lucky stopping at an Oreilly Auto Zone or Advance and asking them what kind of scanner they have. Sometimes they have advanced types.

Check those front ride height sensors first. their usually broken visually.
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Thought I would follow up with you and see if you needed any further assistance? thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the long delay.

I have the parts now .

What is the proper pattern to reinstall the manifold bolts and the ft lbs of torque needed ?

Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Hello, the specification is

Manifold Intake Step 1: Bolts 5, 7, 9, to 9 - 11 ft. lbs.
Step 2: All others 7 - 13 ft. lbs.
Step 3: Rotate 85 - 95 degrees

Here is the manifold with bolt numbers attached.
graphic

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks

Could you explain rotate 85 to95 degrees ?

Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome, you tourque the bolts 10 ftlbs roughtly, and then rotate the bolt another 90 degrees, or 1/4 of a circle after all of them are tourqued 10 ft lbs.

Edward, Service Technician
Experience: 20 + years experience on various makes and models.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Are you sure you sent me the right drawings of my motor?
They look different from my engine.

I have the 32 valve duel overhead cam 4.6 .

What is the disassembly sequence for the job ?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I was right the info you sent me was for the 4.6 without duel overhead cam's and only 2 valves not 4 per hole.

Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
Even if I punch in the right car, my database is giving me single overhead 4.6 info, and I know that's wrong because they only put duel overhead cams in a Mark 8. Let me research this tom. and I will post asap. Thank you.
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.
The tourque setting is correct 10 ft. lbs and then a 1/4 circle after they are all tourqued down. I have always started at the ends of the intake and worked my way in when removing them, Then on reassembly, start in the middle and work your way out to the end of the intake.

I would remove and install them in steps. Snug them all first, then go 7 ft lbs on all the bolts, then go 10 ft lbs before final tourque. You shouldn't have any problems that way, Also, take a good look at the engine wiring harness, make sure it's not chafed up, or chewed up, where it lays in the engine compartment.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well I finally got at it .
What is the way to get the front two bolts on the intake out , the ones that have the bracket for the coolant pipes that come out of each head ?

How does the coolant pipe come out of the head ?