Edward, Service Technician
Experience:  20 + years experience on various makes and models.

Lexus GS300: Looking to buy a used 95 lexus gs 300. The vehicles

Looking to buy a used 95 lexus gs 300. The vehicle's speedometer and tachometer don't work. Is the car worth even considering buying considering the potential cost to repair these problems?
Hello and thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do all I can to help. First of all, I would consider whether the car is a good deal or not, condition, mileage, any leaks? service records? etc. The book value of a 95 lexus gs 300 with 200,000 miles on it, Is around this much.

Very Good

So lets make sure your not paying too much for it right off the bat, obviously it's not in excellent condition as only 2 to 3% of all cars would fall into that category.

If you could pick it up for 1800 or less, I would say your getting a decent deal provided no major mechanical issues are present, Make sure the engine runs quiet with no abnormal noises, and the transmission shifts firm with no slippage.

Most likely the instrument cluster itself is at fault. If one or the other wasn't working (speedo or tach) I would say it could be a sensor but if both aren't working, that points to an issue with the cluster itself. You can get an instrument cluster for the vehicle for around 2 to 300 dollars. 93 to 97 will work. Check Ebay for that component as the dealer will want alot more money. Let me know if you have anymore questions.