EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master certified L1, L2, Diesel Certified 16 years experience

Jeep Liberty: Jeep Liberty 2009. There is a loud groaning sound

Jeep Liberty 2009. There is a loud groaning sound from the rear end of the vehicle when I go over bumps. The groaning is more frequent when I add a front seat passenger, and constant when I add a rear seat passenger. Is there a remedy?
Hi. Most common, the noise you describe is from the sway bar bushings. What you can do, is to remove the bushing and lube the inside where the bar goes through with an anti-seize or silicone based lube. They bushing would be #2 in the picture. Sometimes, just lubing the bushing is not good enough to completely remove the noise. But if it makes a noticeable difference then they just be replaced. Let me know if you would like more info. Thanks, Eric

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Eric. How big a job is it to replace these bushings?

its pretty easy. Just unbolt the brackets' 2 bolts and remove the bracket. Some bushings need to be slid off the bar. But some are split in half and will just come off the bar. That would be the best. Let me know what you find. thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We pulled the brackets today and lubricated the heck out the bushings and everything else in site. It sure runs smoother now, but there is still a bit of a groan at certain time. Much better though. I'll give it a week or so for the lube to penetrate, then see what happens next.

Thanks Eric

Your welcome. If you have any more questions with your Jeep please feel free to request me here. Thank you!