Master Tech Lee
Master Tech Lee, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  36 years Domestic and Import Electronics Diagnostic Tech
28531106

changed injectors now codes p0172 & p0175 show up. plugs just

Customer Question

changed injectors now codes p0172 & p0175 show up. plugs just look lean. #1 carbon billed up
Category: Car
Expert:  Master Tech Lee replied 1 year ago.

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

Welcome to justanswer.com. My name is XXXXX XXXXX online automotive technician. I am reading your comments. I will be right with you. Thank You, Leon

Customer :

hello

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

Sorry connection problems fixed now

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

What is the Mazda doing?

Customer :

i changed the injectors and a few miles later cel came on. codes ar p0172 and p0175. runs about the same idel is a little rough after driving to and from work. work is higher altitude then home and and it idels high with clutch in for a while then returns to normal

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

Have cleared the codes and did the codes come back in?

Customer :

yes and i have disconnected the battery for like 10 min. always comes back after a couple cycles.i read somewhere that a pcm update is normal for cars with milage?

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

OK, Let me look into the codes. And see what i can find out with my pro books. I will be back, Leon

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

Is this a regular cab or cab plusXXXXXor 4

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

Are you there?

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

DTC P0172 bank 1 (Cylinder 1) and DTC P0175 bank 2 indicates the fuel/air ratio is too rich. The fuel trim system is at the lean correction limit.

This indicates a vacuum leak somewhere. Check for vacuum leaks and esp. around the MAF sensor. I am gathering some more data for you. I will be back on this afternoon.

Meanwhile, I am sending you some test, so when I come back on that I will have a direction to go in to start helping you diagnose the problem.

Thank you, Leon

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks for the sugestions. i tried a different maf and air temp sensor. still sending the same codes. could it just be the o2 sensors not reading right

Could be o2. But I do not like to assume. Have you had the chance to do some of the tests?
There is most likely a vacuum leak some where. Your too rich. Please start the process of elimination by following the charts i sent to you. This will save us time and money in fixing the vehicle. If you need further assistance with the charts I would be happy to assist you step by step.

Vacuum leak check - start engine allow to come to normal operating temp. Have a can of carb spray and spry around the intake area and intake tube where the MAF is. Also spay around the brake booster as well.

Most likly your 02's are fauled up with soot from engine running rich. So, they will have to be cleaned or replaced, depending on how long you have been driving with the engine rich.

Let me know what you find out.

Thank you,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

there is no vacuum leak. sprayed all around lines and intake. and wouldn;t a vac leak make it lean by getting to much air into the engine?

OK, When there is a vacuum leak - we know this is lean, but when the computer senses this, in turn adds fuel to the engine to keep a stoichiometric ratio mix of 14.7:1. In short, the system is in Rich condition.

You have completed one item in the trouble shooting process, thus far, please keep going with the First page of the PDF i sent you.

Thank you for checking for a vacuum leak. For the troublshooting steps here is the PDF.

Attachment: 2013-08-04_221025_2013-08-02_103850_2013-08-02_053811.pdf

Thank you,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i just bought a actron cp9580a can i test with that thanks

Yes, you can read live data and send me o2 stats ( minimum and max volt reading and are they switching? ) And all the fuel trim readings. Along with the mass air flow readings. Engine at normal temp, running. Please and Thank you, Leon

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok so i have some numbers. these are at idle. one thing that seemed wierd was that i have looked at the scan tool a few times while its hooked up and this time it said fuel system open2. normally it says closed. then it gave the codes p1132 and p1152. ok back to readings

. Calc load %31. MAF .62 IAT108 eng temp 190 IGN ADV.10 ST FTRM1 %4.7 same for FTRM2. LT FTRM 1&2 0.0 O2S11 826-847 O2S12 879 - 897 O2S21 856-924. on the closed fuel system closed ST FTRM 1&2 bounce from -4 to +4 LT FTRM 1&2 -23. O2S11 .12-.900 O2S12 .678-.784 O221 .10-.897 the graph for O2S11 & O2S21 looked good up & down but O2S12 was choppy and what you might call lazy. thanks gene

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

anything on those numbers?

OK, LTFTRM -23 is in rich condition which correspond to the codes p1132 and p1152. 02's are not switching enough.

P1152 Mazda - HO2S-21 Rich Condition Correcting For Over Lean Condition.

Possible causes
- Large vacuum leak
- Blocked or faulty fuel injector(s)
- Fuel pump faulty
- Faulty oxygen sensor
- Blocked exhaust

Read more: http://engine-codes.com/p1153_mazda.html#ixzz2bO9kwYKI

Read more: http://engine-codes.com/p1152_mazda.html#ixzz2bO8vfOqw

There is either a big vacuum leak somewhere, faulty 02, or 02 sensor wiring problem.

First we need to make sure to see if the EGR valve is not stuck open. This would cause a big vacuum leak internally. Before we continue with the 02 test.
See both 02's are not switching and very rarely do they go out at the same time.

So,

Do this test for me?:

Remove EGR valve for me and inspect it to see if the pintle is open or closed.
Let me know what you find out.

Click Here

As long as the Fuel PSI is ok check the following in green

Click Here

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no egr. the codes p1132 and p1152 were only present for 45 min. what does fuel system open 2 mean? it very rarely switches to open. the 2 upstream o2 sensors are rich to lean fairly quick. the post cat o2 stays reading rich. is that right. thanks for the help. gene

What size engine you have?
Location of EGR Valve Click Here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ford 4.0 v6

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i've seen the #2 pic but i was told that was for the vapor coming from the fuel tank. it runs to the throttle body

Nope, in Picture 3 is the EGR Valve. See if you can locate this by the picture. I will see if I can get a hold of a better one later for you.
At regular job be home this evening.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

some b4000 didnt have them from what i've read

Sending you back to the expert page to where someone can help you better.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Other.
never got a definate answer and he said to ask another expert
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I’m Josie a moderator for this topic. It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from an other one of our professionals?

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal.

Thank you,

Josie~Moderator
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no it hasn't. i would just like my money back. thanks gene