mas12076
mas12076, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Over seventeen years experience and ASE certified in six areas
19964602

Toyota MR2 Spyder: Can you tell me whether any Toyota 1ZZFE

Can you tell me whether any Toyota 1ZZFE engine will fit in a MR2 Spyder? Regards, XXXXX XXXXX NZ

What has Australia got to do with my question? I did not select 'Australia Car' as a category. I do not live there. MR2 Spyders (MR-S) in New Zealand come directly from Japan, usually as used imports.

Hi I'm Richard and I will try to answer your question to the best of my ability .The engines are both the same with the exception of the motor mounts which can be easily adapted by rewelding the support brackets.The bell housing and other accessories should mount up the same however you should use your old intake and exhaust manifolds because those are also a bit different .
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the reply. However, I am curious about your statement about needing to modify the motor mounts. There are two mounts on the bell housing - front and back - and only one on the motor itself, at the timing case end. I appreciate that the manifolds need to be swapped over and I have since learned that the sump also needs to be swapped. I guess the main question was whether the engine block would mate up to the bell housing. You say it will but the engine mount comments leave me less than confident in your answer. I am faced with purchasing and shipping an engine from the other main island, so I need to be sure that it will bolt in.

Regards,

You're right I was thinking of the older generation .The bell housing has the same bolt pattern and will bolt up .I do apologize for the confusion I have done hundreds of mods while I lived in the Dom Rep and they sometimes get mixed in my mental hard drive .You'll be fine with the swap and if there's anything else you need don't hesitate to ask .