sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 14 years dealership experience

having a problem with 4.0 L6 Cherokee sport.

Customer Question

I'm still having a problem with my 4.0 L6 Cherokee sport. Changed PCM,fuel pump,Cam shaft sensor and crank sensor. Unfortunately the cpk was not tightened enough.so its like the bolt doesn't slide freely in the threads. The vehicle has a hard start and runs for a some seconds then stalls.OBD codes are as follows ;P100 of which I think was caused by removal of throttle air filter assembly,P0340,P01765,P1391,P0535,P0531,P0761 and C214C (unidentified code). Can u pliz help me coz I'm disparate and the vehicle has been down since March or should I take it the junk yard more so that its costing me as I have to import some parts.by the way its an Asian jeep

Category: Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the crank sensor isn't tightening down correctly then that's the first thing that needs to be addressed. If it's loose then it won't produce a clean, correct signal. Some of these engines had an adjustable crank sensor and if it's depth wasn't correct that will also cause problems, so if it isn't tightening down correctly that's the first thing that will need to be taken care of.

From there, disconnect the battery to clear the fault codes, run the engine and see if any codes re set or you still have problems. If the P0340 sets again then you still have a cam sensor issue, the P1391 could either be the cam, crank sensor, distributor or timing chain issue. Aftermarket cam and crank sensors have shown very poor quality and usually cause repeat problems, so if you've been using aftermarket parts they are already suspect.

The other fault codes you mentioned aren't valid for this vehicle so the scan tool or code reader you're using may not be displaying them correctly.

sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 14 years dealership experience
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Hi,my jeep is at it again.I its almost 2 months without moving.Initially it threw codes P1391,0720 and 201 or 301(not sure).and now it cranks but cant start.The problem started after i filled the gas tank to its bream.A few distance from the gas station it started stalling with no engine power.It was as if the fuel was pulsating.later on it improved and i managed to get to my destination.Parked it for a weekend.When i started it the idling wasn't good more especially on reverse gear.it was shaking.drove it and it died within a short distance.I tried to start it the following morning,and will start sputter and die within 30 sec (worsen when u press gas paddle),I bought injectors (upgraded 4 hole) and it worsened .the engine will ignite,sputter and die immediately. I changed crank shaft sensor, no difference. OBD codes cant display coz I had removed the battery terminals.

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 9 months ago.
Have you checked fuel pressure and taken a sample to see if you got bad fuel?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Not yet.we tried spraying starting fluid into the throttle body,it did the same thing.starting and cutting instantly.It produces a popping sound by the throttle body as if its back firing or returning fuel mixture.

Was it running fine and this started suddenly?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

Yes,it was running fine though it occasionally had a rough idle and loss of engine power.

Take a look at the bottom of the cam sensor drive, on the right side of the block and looks like a distributor base. Take a look where the hold down clamp is on the base, does it look as if the drive has turned?