sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

Jaguar XJ6: I have a 1995 XJ6. The A/C system leaked down

I have a 1995 XJ6. The A/C system leaked down and I added some but still no cooling but the compressor did engage. I drove the car on the freeway (50-60 MPH). When I got home both upper and lower fans were running but it was 93 degrees so no big deal. My son returned home approximately 45 minutes later and told me the car was running. I went out to discover both fans still running. Do you think this problem is interrelated. By this I'm asking do you think the A/C problem and the fans running too long are linked somehow? Thank you for your consideration.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The a/c and fan issue would be unrelated in this case.

You don't mention how much refrigerant you added or what the pressures were before and after charging. If the charge is still low then the compressor may engage but not cool, especially when it's 93 degrees outside. Charging without a recovery machine is pretty imprecise, but shoot for a low side pressure of around 40 PSI on the low side if it's 90 degrees out.

The cooling fan issue is being caused by a bad cooling fan relay or a short on it's control circuit. This is a solid state relay that controls the fans with variable speed and it gets warm during operation so it's mounted to the sheet metal under the right radiator support. When this type of relay fails it will often cause the fans to run constantly unless the battery is disconnected because it receives a power feed all the time.