Master Tech Lee
Master Tech Lee, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  36 years Domestic and Import Electronics Diagnostic Tech

1996 Southwind Storm 30H Motorhome Brakes

I'm looking at a 1996 Southwind Storm 30H Motorhome. I took it for a test ride and the brakes seemed awfully hard. Not spongy just hard. While on the test drive the belt broke and I lost power steering and had no brakes. Overall the motorhome looked like it was well cared for. What do you think? Thanks  43,500 miles on it.

Hello, Welcome to Ja,

These motor home's P-30 chassis has had many complaints about the brake system. Manufacture has yet to comply with a correction. Be careful before you buy, and have the RV looked at by a professional automotive inspector. You may have a clogged hose or a locked up caliper. Does this Storm have exhaust brake?

DANGEROUS URL REMOVED/search-results?make=Fleetwood%7C305435&model=Storm+30h&vrsn=hybrid

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, not that I'm aware of.

I would, if you like the RV and since it has low milage, take it to a shop to see what exactly is going on with the brakes.

Is there more i can help you with?

Keep looking around try this site. My Grandfather uses this site all the time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Are these Power assisted brakes belt driven? Why would I loose the brakes when the belt or belts broke?

Is it a P-30 chassis?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

All I know is it's a 30H Southwind Storm 1996.

ok I am going to check into this for you. It may as well be a power steering assist braking system. Be back, Leon
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Your Welcome
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is a P30 Chassis with a 7.4L Chevy V8

I have someone in the afternoon tomorrow that will call me about the specifications and what not, to help you with the braking questions. I know so far the when the key is off that there is an electric motor that is supposed to come on, when the brake is applied. The emergency brake is air operated, and has given people who own Storms a problem when failed. Example is when there is a leak in the e-brake system, the brakes are applied to prevent RV from moving. Brakes themselves heat up pretty well and most Storm owners have switched to slotted rotors to help dissipate the heat better. Too, much heat will give you brake fade and this is dangerous.

I need the VIN of the Storm please to run it for you to see if any recalls or safety issues are present.

Thank you,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

1GBKP37N0S3328029 Thanks

Your Welcome!!

Is the Storm is hydraulic and is assisted by the power steering pump.

From your VIN you have a Cheverolet 7.4 V8 Throttle body Injection. Built in St. Louis, MO.

Here are some resources for you:

Some of the recalls do not apply to the Storm, but wanted you to have the sites to check other RV's you might be interested in.

Click Here

Click Here

Let me know if I can be of more help.

Thank you,