Josh, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  13 years of experience, Factory training for Honda, Hyundai, Kia, Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, and Saturn

Inner door handle

Customer Question

Hi. I have a 2000 Hyundai Atos. I am trying to take the inner door panel off of the left front door. I have taken out all the screws and released the clips and removed the lock thing. I'm having trouble figuring out how to release the handle though. It's the only thing keeping me from being able to remove the panel. I appreciate any help you can offer. /Marie

How it looks

Category: Car
Expert:  Josh replied 3 years ago.
Hello, these are a little tricky the first time, the door handle itself actually has tabs that go into corresponding slots on the door, the screw only keeps it from moving and releasing from the door. What you need to do is, lift the door panel from the rear to get the lock rod clear of the door, then slide the whole door panel forward, the door handle should slide forward and release from the door, allowing you to remove the door panel.