Peter the Car Eater
Peter the Car Eater, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Nissan Senior Specialist, over 10 years automotive experience all makes and models

2001 nissan frontier a/c problem, compressor cycles are too

2001 nissan frontier
a/c problem, compressor cycles are too long sometime up to 5 minutes. this vehicle came in with the a/c cycling very fast, checked charge overfull. drain, evp,and recharged with 22 oz freon. cooling to 40 and a/c cycling correct. turned temp. to hot, let cabin temp reach 160 turned back to cold. compressor came on one time for about back on one minutes, cycled off and came on in about five minute. can run power to compressor will run and cool fine. changed a/c relay, changed high pressure switch at dryer. no luck a/c light on dash stays on. and will cut on and off. can ground green wire at high pressure switch and compressor runs. what do you think!!!!!!
Category: Car
Expert:  Peter the Car Eater replied 11 months ago.

Peter the Car Eater :

Hi. I would be more than happy to assist you with your inquiry today.

Peter the Car Eater :

To make sure I understand your concern, you say your A/C is fully charged, but your compressor is cycling erratically. Is this correct?

Customer:

yes

Peter the Car Eater :

OK. There is a thermistor inside the evaporator case that is inserted into the evaporator. It caused similar problems in many Nissan models including the '01 Frontier. The thermistor is red and has a small two wire connector.

Peter the Car Eater :

If your pressures are OK and you know for sure your A/C is charged with the proper amount of oil and freon, check the thermistor.

Customer:

how can i change it, will need to pull dash, or other.

Peter the Car Eater :

You can snake it out of the case without pulling everything apart. You will need a pair of long needle nose pliers.

Peter the Car Eater :

Remove the screws attaching the lower evap case to the upper case. Pry them apart and you should see the thermistor in there. It'll be pretty tight, but it's better than taking everything down.

Customer:

were do i get this part. dealer.

Peter the Car Eater :

You can definitely find it at the dealer. Possibly aftermarket.

Peter the Car Eater :

Ebay $31.50

Peter the Car Eater :

I can provide you with a link to a site with pictures from a 2000 Xterra. It's pretty much the same thing.

Customer:

ok thanks

Peter the Car Eater :

No problem. If there's anything else I can do, don't hesitate to ask.

Experience: Nissan Senior Specialist, over 10 years automotive experience all makes and models
Hi Mr. Jones,

I just wanted to follow up with you and make sure the thermistor fixed the problem. If you ever need anything else, you can request me before you log in. Just go to the "Mechanics" tab on the "Get an Answer" box. Then scroll to the bottom of the page to "Mechanic Questions" on the right. Click any question. The following page should have a button at the top that says "Meet the Experts". Click it and the next page should have a list of experts with me somewhere in it. You may be able to do this after you log in as well. My log in takes me to different screens so I have to log out. Thanks again for allowing me to assist you and leaving the positive feedback. If you need anything else, you know where to find me.

Sincerely,
Peter the Car Eater