Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIANCE, AUTO AND TRUCK,FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DIESEL
17454363

LICOLN TOWN CAR: 2003 Lincoln Town Car. Came in with a bad

2003 Lincoln Town Car. Came in with a bad a/c compressor. The clutch hub was white due to getting very hot. Flushed system, replaced compressor, drier, orfice and condensor. Added correct oil and freon charge. At idle lowside is 35 and highside is 250. When rpm is brought up to 2000-2500 rpm the highside goes up to almost 400 and the low goes to about 28-30. To me it looks as if the highside to too high. I have removed the orfice and it was clean. I removed all the hoses and used shop air at 50 psi and i get good flow in either direction out of the hoses. It seems to have a restriction of some sort but there is none that I can find. The cooling fan is on high and you can feel the airflow quite well. Any help would be great.
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX there was a restriction, the low side would be going into a vacuum, can you try something, with it running and the gauges hooked up, can you take a garden hose and spray down the condensor and see if the high side pressure drops?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes it does drop at idle. I have not tried it at the higher rpm but assuming it drops at low rpm it seems it would also do the same at the higher rpm.When you take the water away the pressure will come back up.

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
what does the high side drop to when spraying it down/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it was 300 at idle and dropped to 200 with water on the condensor

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
ok, then everything internal with the a/c system is good, you have a problem with the cooling of the condensor, if the condensor is new, and the right size, then it has to be the flow over the condensor, it is very common for the radiator get debis on the outside and block the airflow over the condensor, have you chjecked this yet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I used a fender cover to hang in front of the grill and it sucked it in so I assumed it was flowing ok but i will check it and get back to you. Thank you.

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
its either going to be a restricted radiator, or the fan motor is not turning fast enough, this will be the only 2 things, if water brought the pressure down to 200, then everything internal on the system is good,Tim
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience: 30 YRS EXPERIANCE, AUTO AND TRUCK,FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DIESEL
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok. I removed all the shrouding I could and used pressured water to blow through the radiator and cooler as much as I could. I also went through the fan area and blew through from that direction getting as much coverage as I had access to. I recharged the system. At idle the low is at 38 and the high is at 225. At 2000-2500 the low is at 25 and the high is at 300. The high will start moving up to around 330 anfd then drop back to 300 and at that point the low will go to 20 and then it cycles. I had passenger window and drivers door open and the blower on high during the test. What do you think ?

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
then the radiator was partially plugged, if it dropped it that much, the pressures are still alittle high, but within specs, how does it cool?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

with blower on high it is 39 out of the center vent

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.
then that is good, and running proper,Tim