Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Auto Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs. experience diagnostics & repair of all makes/models.
18617752

I have a noise originating in the front end, only on rough

Customer Question

I have a noise originating in the front end, only on rough roads, like something is hitting the limits of its travel. It feels like the front end is "soft" on cornering. Ball joints have been replaced -- you guessed it-- $400.00 spent and NO improvement. Repeated assesments have revealed no obvious source of the noise. What do you suggest?
Submitted: 1 year ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Car
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
Hello! Welcome to the site! Thanks for coming! I'm Ron Z. I'm here to provide as much info and insight as I can, to best answer your question.

From what you are describing here, it sounds like you may have worn Stabilizer Links and/or Stabilizer Bar Bushings. What I usually do here it remove the Stabilizer Link and then take a short test drive. If the noise is gone, I recommend replacing both the links and the bar bushings. Replacing one without the other makes the un-replaced part wear more quickly,an the noise will soon return. If the links and/or bar bushings are not the problem, then the strut and strut mount will need to be inspected. Start with the links/bushings first though, they're a fairly common wear item, and it fits your description and symptoms ("soft" on cornering).
graphic

Please remember the website WILL NOT automatically compensate me with a part of your deposit or from your subscription WITHOUT YOUR RATING! Please use the Rating System and *Rate My Service* once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, use the "Reply" tab – I'm always happy to answer follow-ups! Follow-ups are always FREE! Even after you rate! Thank-you!

Ron Z., - Auto Tech -
Experience: 18+yrs. experience diagnostics & repair of all makes/models.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

As stated this has already been done to NO effect save that i'm poorer!!

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
You said you replaced the Ball Joints. You did not mention the sway bar bushings or links.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I think that I agree that the struts and mounts need to be replaced, and I'll do that. My mechanic (not a Hyundai technician!!) is on the same page as you, so we'll see how it goes. If there is any way to get back to you, I will after the job is done -- I'll have both replaced.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
I'd also highly recommend checking those links and bar bushings as well. Considering it doesn't require any money to give them a check and it only take roughly 15min to remove the link and test drive- it may be worth the time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The solution you suggested and agreed with will be applied tomorrow AM. I'll let you know how it goes, and if not well, well I guess we could "guess again".

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good. Remember to remove the link and take a test drive before replacing any parts. This way, you don't have to spend money until you know where the problem lies. No sense in replacing parts at random, when the test costs nothing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Alas, as i said, the links have alreday been replaced by the HYUNSAI mechanic. Tomorrow, its both struts!!

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
Actually, in your original question, you said the Ball Joints had been replaced with no results. Links and Bar Bushings are different than Ball Joints.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Links and bushings it was!! Sorry to be confusing -- I'm the physician, you the mechanic

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
Ahhh. Ok. Just want to make sure we're on the same page. I don't want to see you replace something that isn't the source of the problem. If the links and bushings are new, then yes, my next move would be stuts and mounts myself.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Check with me tomorrow at this time.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So, its done, and it worked. The passenger side was totally broken, the other on the way. Worth the money -- noise gone, the ride returned. No way the Hyundai expert mechanic should have missed that!

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.
Excellent! Glad to hear that! Glad I could be of some help!

If you have any other questions in the future, please don't hesitate to ask! You can request me from the main page, ask your new question and add "for Ron Z" in the question or go to my profile page and bookmark it here: Ron Z's profile page. I'd be happy to help!

Have a great day!