nabilc
nabilc,
Experience:  Manager/co-owner at Autotronic
30385560

Saab 9-3: I have an intermittent problem related to the key

I have an intermittent problem related to the key and starting the car. Occasionally the key will not open the door lock, and when I use the metal key inside the transponder key it sets off the alarm. It then takes a couple of tries in the ignition switch to start the car. I replaced the batteries in the key and it made no difference
Hello and welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with this.

My apologies for the delay, thank you for your patience.

When the vehicle does not receive the unlock command from the remote fob, then the alarm stays activated. Hence the siren when the door is opened using the mechanical key.
Having replaced the batteries and tested both keys (fobs), then it is very unlikely that the problem is from the key or remote fobs. The problem is in the remote central locking. Accordingly the power lock control modules need checking, and that is best done using a scan tool, by trying to activate the system and monitoring the live data at the same time. So you see which control module is not operating as it should, and first try upgrading the software, and if that does not cure the issue, the lock control module requires replacement (of course, i would first check the connectors).

Thank you for your trust! Get back to me if you need more assistance...Thank you in advance for the positive rating...
http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-billy/

Regards, Billy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks it probably means a trip to the shop
Hello John,

Either way, you can get back to me with your findings, or if further assistance is needed on this, so we proceed accordingly.

Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Where is the module located? Can I easily check to see if there is a loose connection?
Hello John,

The immobilizer module is integrated within the CIM (column integration module):
graphic

To check this, you need to remove the battery cable for 15 minutes (to de activate the airbags), and then remove the steering wheel, and you get to the CIM behind it, you pull the CIM, and the connector is at its back.

Regards,
Billy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your update. Tack sa mycket

Du är varmt välkommen!