nabilc
nabilc,
Experience:  Manager/co-owner at Autotronic
30385560

Suzuki Esteem GL: I have 2002 Suzuki Esteem with only 67K miles.

I have 2002 Suzuki Esteem with only 67K miles. July 2012 alternator replaced. May 2013, replaced vacuum hose, oil change, lube, filter. Also both front CV driveshafts replaced. Just a couple of weeks ago, on July 16, car dead. battery won't hold charge. Replaced battery, complete starting, charging, and system check. On July 27, car idle dropped to zero and it died at a traffic light. All lights on on dash. Geez. After 5 mins, finally started and got it to the shop. No warning lights. Now they say it might be the idle air control valve. Have spent about $1800 since last year. Why did they not detect the bad valve when they did the diagnostics a couple of weeks ago?

Billy :

Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.

Billy :

The electronic parts "die" suddenly, like a light bulb. One second it's working perfectly, and the other, it is not.

Billy :

But before replacing the idle air control, i would recommend cleaning the idle air actuator valve, and the throttle valve using some carb cleaner and a toothbrush,

Billy :

and then dry out thoroughly before refitting.

Billy :

After this, i would double check the air intake hoses, for any leaky vacuum hose, or other, and correct or replace accordingly.

Billy :

Having done these, i would then double check the air filter, and the spark plugs, and if they are good (as the engine was serviced soon enough) leave them

Billy :

This is very likely to sort your issue, without having to replace any parts.

Billy :

If there's a faulty part, then the problem will show up again, and it would eventually stick, so they would be able to detect the faulty part (camshaft sensor, idle valve or other) instantly, and replace accordingly.

Customer:

How much are we talking for the cleaning, Billy?

Billy :

about half an hour of labor.

Customer:

Given the age of the car and low mileage, can I expect any other sudden problems?

Billy :

The age is the enemy here...as some plastics and electronics dry out without even being used...you have a relatively low mileage for major problems... One can never know for sure, but i would not expect too much problems in the near future if the vehicle is well taken care off.

Customer:

Thx, Billy. If they say change the IAC valve, what is the cost of that part?

Billy :

just a second...i'm checking...

Billy :

around 300$...

Customer:

Yikes!! Thanks for that info.

Customer:

Thanks for the good info, Billy. At least I'll have an intelligent and cheaper option to suggest to them.

Billy :

It is not cheap... not at all.... hopefully cleaning will do... either way, get back to me with your findings, or if further info is needed...

Thank you for your trust! Get back to me if you need more assistance...Thank you in advance for the positive rating...
http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-billy/