FixItMan, Master Technician

Suzuki Vitara: Hi I have a 2002 Suzuki vitara. The rpm goes

Customer Question

Hi I have a 2002 Suzuki vitara. The rpm goes up and down when stopped at a light or stopped somewhere. It's worse while ac is on. I have changed spark plugs and 02 sensor since it started but its still doing it. I changed the o2 sensor/oxygen sensor cause the check engine light was on and that's what the diagnostic said was wrong. The check engine light is now off but it is still going up n down at idle
Category: Car
Expert:  FixItMan replied 3 years ago.

FixItMan :

Hello, and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to help you. If I am not online when you are, please allow me time to return. Can you tell me how many miles are on the engine? How does the vehicle run at higher speeds?

JACUSTOMER-krnunrcq- : It's got 101,000. It runs good at high speeds
FixItMan :

Okay. It sounds like you may have a bad or dirty EGR valve or a vacuum leak. Before going with that though the easiest place to start would be to clean out the throttle body. If the throttle bore and plate are dirty then the vehicle will act like this. You need to remove the air intake tube and spray out the throttle body with throttle body cleaner. Then wipe it out with a clean rag paying close attention to the cleanliness of the throttle plate.