Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair

trying to take out 5 speed trans and transfer case form 1993 rodeo, have everything off it

Customer Question

trying to take out 5 speed trans and transfer case form 1993 rodeo, have everything off it says to. have a 1" gap whole way around bell housing but wont come out any further, have tried raising it lowering it even a come along to pull just a bit, but will not come out rest of way.even took slave cylinder off. only thing we didnt do was take starter off, and have cross member still on figuring to put the floor jack there,
Category: Car
Expert:  Randall C replied 12 months ago.
Hello, I am Randall. I have reviewed your question and working on it now.
Engine size?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

3.2 six cylinder

ok, bear with me a few minutes, I think I know what the problem may be, let me confirm and send you information
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

ok im here hoping you can help cause nee to get this done so i can get my 88 ford bronco back from girlfreind lol

I have not done one of these in a good while so hard to explain, we just do not see them everyday however, you have to release the clutch release bearing
It takes a special tool , but a real long screwdriver can work with a flat tip
below is how you wedge the tool in to release the bearing
Not being there makes this hard from my end, so the repair information from the manual is below.If you release this and still does not move, the shft at front of trans could be frozen in the splines of the clutch and then it just has to be lifted, moved, wiggeled pull till it breaks free
You may need to get trans pushed back in place before you can release the bearing,

Use the remover for disconnect the clutch release bearing from the clutch pressure plate. Clutch release bearing remover: J-39207

Release bearing disconnection
(1) Pull the shift fork toward the transmission to press the clutch release bearing against the clutch.
(2) Insert the clutch release bearing remover between the wedge collar and the release bearing.
(3) Turn the remover to separate the release bearing.

NOTE:
Be sure not to insert the remover between the wedge collar and the clutch.

• Remove the transmission retaining nuts and bolts.
  • Remove the transmission from the vehicle.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

now this has a hydraulic clutch and its a push style slave . do you still have to that to get it out

yes,, you have to remove the slave, you did that and follow thew directions closely. I am sorry it is hard there let alone not being there, the release bearing has to be undone internal as described
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

ok yea i know its hard for you not being here. would it be easier if we put the tranny back up against the bell housing reinsert the bolts and take transfer case off so that its not so front heavy to help. and do we have to do anything with the release thing to put tranyy back in

yes, I duid mention you need to get trans back to the engine. The do what is directed on the release bearing, then remove the trans. trandfer case out is always easier, allow much less weight. In the shop ona lift we can get away with this most times but surely makes things easier with transfer out
You do not need to bolt trans back to engine, if anything, one bolt to hold it while you fiddle with that bearing,
going back together you will wiggel trans in adn the bearing/trans will click back in place

• Apply the force of 59 - 78 N (13.2 - 17.6 lb) to the tip of the shift fork in the direction of the transmission side to combine the clutch pressure plate and release bearing.
NOTE:
A click sound is heard when the release bearing and the tip of the diaphragm spring engage each other.
Check to see if they are securely combined by pushing the tip of the shift fork toward the engine side while applying a force of about 25 N (5.5 lb) . If the shift fork will not move, then they are combined securely.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

hey thanks a lot trace. i greatly appreciate the help. we were working on it all day yesterday and i thought getting the y pipe off was going to be the hardest part with the bolts lol. thanks a lot for the info

I was hoping to be able to explain this much better, I only know the procedure needs to be done,. I am not going to say you wont have to play with it some, Working through a small opening is hard at best
Unsure why they designed this way. Just dont do them that often anymore
used to, I am have been doing this 36 years now, but 93 are almost gone these days
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

yea thats for sure wish we had a tranny jack i know that would help a lot. deisel mechanic in military for 11 years and never had this much trouble doing a clutch job lol. thanks a lot for the help

you are correct, Understood, these are/were not real fun, tight work area
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

just one more thing when we seperate the transfer from tranny i dont need a gasket when we go to put it back together do i? im hoping not because parts store would probably have to oder it?

My error, You do not want to separate the transfer case, You only do this on automatic trans not manual .You will experience problems trying to remove the transfer case. the job is done as one unit to do the clutch
my error
You do have the shifter all removed from up top, just checking
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

yea have both shifters out . so dnt remove transfer

do not, I made an error, I rechecked trans removeal and transfer case removeal and you do not do that on manual trans only auto trans
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

ok thanks. when i first saw your web site someone had same year and tranny and they were having problems putting it back in. they got it to an inch from bell housing and they were told to take the transfer off to make it easier with the weight distribution problem . but thanks for telling me not to take it off

no, its splined and special gaskets etc and you will be in a jam if you do that
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

ok thanks for all the info. i greatly appreciate it.

your welcome, i suspect the other tech made same error as i did as normally on most vehciles you remove the transfer case, not on this one
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

you have a good day and thanks again. going to see if i can find that release tool if not i'll have to try with the long flat tip screw driver thanks again. you were a LOT OF HELP ! thanks

try my best. Hope it goes ok
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

cldnt get the tranny to come backwrds more than an inch. with the slave cyclinder removed from the outside, left the lever and fork go to far forward. couldnt even see the bearing u were saying about. put the slave cylinder back on and it pushed it forward . then we cld see the bearing thing but cldnt get it to release.

Expert:  Randall C replied 11 months ago.
It is very hard to explain etc not being there. I sent pictures showing where to insert the tool to pry and release the bearing. The bearing has to be released working through the fork opening following the steps I sent
If you have trans supported level. and only come back so far, you have unsnapped the bearing. possible the splined shaft is a bit stuck in the clutch disc but I still feel the bearing is holding you. You still have to use the long tool to wedge in and unhook that bearing with trans back against the engine
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

we couldnt even see that bearing till we put the slave cylinder back on . then it moved the lever and fork just enough to see it, we tried using the screw driver to do that but the screw driver kept bowing to much.

unsure why slave had to be in, the fork is to go to the rear of the truck and you cant do that with slave in
You have to have trans in, to engine, fork all the way back, a strong bar with flat tip and insert as shown.
I am real sorry, it is hard not being there and trying to explaine all this

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

it has a push style clutch. the slave cylinder is bolted to the out side. when i unbolted the 2 bolts to take the slave cylinder off, which the haynes book called the clutch bearing release cylinder. the lever on the fork pushed it back out of the hole. to put the slave back on had to push in on it to get the bolts to start. only then could we see the bearing in front of the forks. we tried all day, i said the heck with it. its at a garage now. which i wanted to do in the first place. and not mess with it. tried to save 500.00 labor, but ended up wasting a whole weekend. but i appreciate u trying to help me out i really do

I am so sorry for the troubles, This is a case where it is a tricky thing that has to be done and very hard to explain not being there as well. Please, keep me in the loop as to how this all goes and if any other questions. Thanks