Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic,foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

sterling, mercedes acterra: My 2006 sterling acterra is blowing

Customer Question

My 2006 sterling acterra is blowing white smoke out of the exaust from time to time, in my day. I'm adding coolant regularly, every three or four days, what are the likely causes of this?
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hello, welcome. My name isXXXXX will do my very best to
assist you with your question.

The most likely cause of this problem from your description is the head gasket is leaking internally in to the engine and the coolant is passing the cylinders and coming out of the exhaust or the valves are leaking down on the cylinder head.What I would suggest as a first step is to have a block test performed.The block test will test the system for hydro-carbons and if the vehicle fails the test the block,head,or head gasket is causing the issue.At this point the vehicle will need to have further disassembly to the engine to determine the extent of damage.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is worst case a new head gasket. Or what other problem do you think it could possibly be.

Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 1 year ago.
For the coolant to be coming out of the exhaust like this it will be the head gasket,head,or a cracked block.The worst case would be the block,the best case would be the gasket.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Would a cracked block be visible on the outside, or would it have to be removed to see that, and if it were a cracked block wouldn't the truck run rough. Thanks.

Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 1 year ago.
The crack in the block would not be visible until disassembled and the truck would likely not run rough. It is more likely to be the head gasket.
Mike Kelly, Auto Mechanic
Experience: 17 years experience as a auto mechanic,foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How do you feel about head gasket kits. Last question, tthanks.

Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 1 year ago.
The head gasket kit is actually the way to go.