Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience:  Trainer 8+ years, master tech. 10+ years, SAE member

Range Rover: HiI have a 2003 Range Rover Diesel. which

Hi

I have a 2003 Range Rover Diesel. which when hot will not start
I have to sometimes crank it for 30 -40 secs with no result.

i have read on the internet that it is probably that the injectors are worn a bit and that the glow plugs do not operate when the engine is hot and that the ECM uses the water temperature sensor to control the glow plugs.

Firstly i would like you to comment on whether or not I am on the right track with my thinking.

I have a few solutions which I would like you to comment on.

1. Would a temporary fix for this be spraying aero start into the air intake.
I would need guidance on how to do this.

2. Could I install a push button which cuts of the electrical circuit to the heat sensor while starting.

3. Could I install a push button which supplies electricity to the heat sensor while starting.

Category: Car
Expert:  Billy replied 8 months ago.
Hello Mike and welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with this.

My apologies for the delay, thank you for your patience.

The injectors could need cleaning or replacing (might cause this). The glow plugs could also cause this. The engine temp. sensor if faulty, would cause other issues as well, and most likely turn the engine warning light on, so it should not be causing this.
To spray easy start fluid while cranking, you remove the air filter, and spray directly through the hose going from it to the engine, or from the hose on the intake manifold (hose would require removal. However, this is not a cure, and a big problem if you want to do it every time to start the engine.

I would start by replacing the fuel filter, and then i would clean the EGR valve, and then i would check if the glow plugs are getting power (using a led test or a multimeter on the glow plug connector), and then i would proceed accordingly.

Thank you for your trust! Get back to me if you need more assistance...Thank you in advance for the positive rating...
http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-billy/

Regards, Billy
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

Billy

Thanks for your answer

the car starts normally when the engine is cold.

So I assuming that the glow plugs are working

Usually it is when i have driven somewhere and i come back say 30 - 45 minutes later that the car cranks over and over without starting up.

last time I cooled the engine down by hosing it with cold water and then it started. Obviously i cant keep on doing that

Thats why i thought about using the easy start fluid for next time when this happens.

I have bought some injector cleaning fluid that you put in the fuel tank.

Is that what you mean by cleaning the injectors?

I will change the fuel filter and egr valve to see if this makes a difference as well.

To replace the injectors is an extremely expensive process

I am lead to believe.

Thats why I am trying to find an alternative solution for the odd occasion when i need to start the car.

Do you have any diagrams which can help me locating the EGR valve?

Expert:  Billy replied 8 months ago.
Hello Mike,

Injector cleaner bottles put in tank could help... however, if the problem persists, they might require thorough cleaning, and that can only be done at a garage, as they have special equipment for cleaning. If you have no problems with cold starts, then the glow plugs and the temperature sensor should be fine. Replacing the fuel filter and the EGR should make a difference in your case (unless you have other problems as well) and for that, J22.6 in the illustration is the EGR valve:
graphic

Replacing the injectors would prove costly indeed...

Checking and repairing these issues, should sort the problem (of course if no problems are present).

Regards, Billy
Billy, Trainer/Master tech.
Experience: Trainer 8+ years, master tech. 10+ years, SAE member