Brendan Block
Brendan Block, Technician
Experience:  BMW Technician specializing in engine conversions, braking upgrades and race car prep.

BMW 330xi 2002

Customer Question

I bought this car a month ago about, I have replaced several things, bought code reader to help with that..  I figured out the oxy sen were bad, the map sen was bad, replaced gaskets, thought that I fixed timing but it started sounding like shit so I tore down again to check and it seems like the crank advanced again, but vanos still in same spot. Seen something on banjo fitting in vanos that said to apply air to find or reset vanos? Did that, now sounds like air is blowing out of exaust side of vanos? Can u help?

Category: Car
Expert:  Brendan Block replied 8 months ago.

Unfortunately there is a specific set of tools required to time your engine. HERE is a link to the type of tool, you may find it cheaper if you shop around though. If you don't have that set I would invest, it will save you a lot in the long run! Also, invest in a Bentley service manual if you haven't already!

As for applying air through the banjo fitting, you do that when you're timing and installing the VANOS and air blowing out the other side is normal.

Let me know where you are in the process right now and what else you need help with and I'll help you get it back together! Please leave me a positive rating when you get a chance as well, we can still continue this conversation after you've rated me.

Thanks and good luck!

~Brendan

PS: I have the same car and love it!

Brendan Block, Technician
Experience: BMW Technician specializing in engine conversions, braking upgrades and race car prep.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

With a code reader , looking at the timing , what values should it read? like when its running what should the reading be? when u rev it up? Then my car makes a clunk clunk sound at a idil stage, is that normal? Bank one and two are lean, engine has no vaccum leaks? Could it be the MAF sensor? That is the only thing that hasn't been replaced( waiting on the mail man).

Clunks are definitely not normal! Usually if the timing is off the car will run rough and you will have either a cam sensor code or a cam/crank correlation code. If the clunk is more of a plastic rattle coming from the intake manifold then it's the intake runner valve which is right about the throttle body and intake boot. these are prone to failure and can cause vacuum leaks, noises and rough running.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

The only codes it is saying right now is Bank 1 and 2 lean , misfire on1- 5 then shuts down 5? It doesn't sound like it shuts it down, it still sounds the same. If u unplug the MAF it seems to run better, but code reader says circuit low? Shouldn't it say open or low?

I still think the timing sounds off, I'd double check it with the timing tools if you haven't already. I think unplugging the MAF is just masking a larger problem.

Does the MAF circuit low code come on before you unplug the MAF or after?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

After

Ok, that's just from unplugging it. Ignore it and clear it out, it's the lean and misfire codes that you should focus on. Have you checked the timing with the tools?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

No haven't got tool yet, just been trying to do with out it. Been watchin a lot of U tube. Sorry I am bugging u.

Don't worry about it, I'm here to help! You can start with the cam lock tool and the pin for the crank, the other tools in the kit I linked are for setting up the cam gears but hopefully those are ok still. Definitely go get a Bentley manual though, it will walk you through the steps to check the timing (and pretty much everything else!)

I'm going to catch a few hours of sleep, I'll be back on here tomorrow so feel free to leave me questions here and I'll catch up with you when I'm back.

Thanks!
Brendan