Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Master Mechanic
Experience:  35 years/Master Tech. Foreign and Domestic
2617050

Hi transmission starting to slip just a little. SUV has 135

Hi transmission starting to slip just a little. SUV has 135 000 miles it's a 2003 with AWD.

I had bought a product from Wynn's I'd say 5 to 7 years ago on sale it's a Transmission Treatment & Stop leak never opened I was wondering if I could put it in couldn't hurt right?

Thanks
Welcome,

A lot of times the slipping is because of hardened rubber seals inside the trans and the treatment will soften the seals so that they can better seal the fluid internally so pressure can build up for a proper shift. It doesnt always work but like you mentioned it wont hurt anything to give it a try.

LJ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks how long should I wait to see if it helps or if I should try another brand like Lucas maybe or else

Actually if you can find it, BG makes a real nice tranny conditioner that works excellent on hard rubber and you should notice a difference in a few days or miles. I would give it a week or so.

They used to only sell this product to shops but have since made it available on the market. Just call around and ask if they carry the BG products. Below is what it looks like.

graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Great I saw you were a Ford mechanic and I forgot to tell you it's a MazdaTribute (V6) I'm talking about so Ford engine and transmission I think so maybe you saw a similar type of issue on an Escape

Yes, it applies to all automatic transmissions, especially Ford and GM :-)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi LJ I don't think I can add anything in because the fluid level on the dipstick is already at the high level mark and even a little above the mark. The bottle is not big though 325ml (11 ounces I think) so maybe not that bad .. What do you think?

If I have to I will flush it first.

SEB

Hi SEB,

If there isnt enough room on the dipstick to keep the level in between the marks on the dipstick when conditioner is added, and you dont have a suction gun to remove some of the fluid, you could have it flushed.

Thanks again for asking !

LJ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi LJ could you get me an approximate capacity (not dry) so I know how much Mercon ATF to buy thanks

Hi there!

3.9 Quarts. Call it an even 4.

Take care.

LJ