ASE Master Tech 35yrs
ASE Master Tech 35yrs, ASE Master Auto Tech
Experience:  ASE Certified since 1972,Master Auto tech,Heavy Truck Tech, foriegn and domestic

Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL (FWD): I have a 92 Olds Cutlass

I have a 92 Olds Cutlass Supreme SL 3.4 5-6 weeks ago,I was driving home and the engine stopped,it cranked but wouldn't start.My mechanic replaced the fuel pump and filter,coil and module,oil sending unit.It will start and run now if he uses starting fluid or puts a battery charger on it.He tried anther battery,but this one is only a couple months old,didn't help. Thank you, Randy [email protected]

What is your battery voltage, engine off and engine running? Does it continue to run after intial starting fluid? What is your fuel pressure key on,engine off?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it continues to run after starting with fluid.battery voltage 12.3 fuel pressure in spec

I suspect the wiring is not making good connections, high resistance, low voltage. Did your mechanic replace the wires that came with new fuel pump? Your battery voltage is low. Have your battery fully charged and load tested. Make sure battery terminals are clean on both sides of the bolts that scew into the battery with no corrossion. Check or replace battery cables. Your battery voltage should be at least 12.6 engine off or 13.8-14.4 engine running.

You cannot properly test a battery if voltage is less than 12.4 volts.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I'll have to get back to you on Mon.It isn't the battery,he had a new one in and all of the connections are clean.Could it be the starter?

It could be a number of things but you will need to check starter and check for current draw. Starter should draw 150 amps while cranking. First check for 12 volts at fuel pump. If you don't have a full 12 volts, something is causing the drop. Resistance in wiring, relay or bad connections, poor ground. I'm thinking fuel pump is not grounded properly. It could also be excessive resistance in ignition switch in crank position.
Thank you for your positive feedback. Thank you for using just answer.